Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
i have an ipad 3. will it hurt resale value if they update ipads next month with this port?
if they dont update it then it will be updated more than likely next march for the new one. Whats everybodys take on it?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I doubt it will have an immediate affect.

The old iPad will still work with thousands of accessories while one with the new connector will only be compatible with a handful of products (without an adaptor) when it's released.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
If they update the iPad with just the new connector then its probably that in some cases the old iPad could still retain its value because of the compatibility with accessories (without an adapter)

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
Life to short, stop worrying about minor issues. Some people are way to obsessed with Apple, It will still have retina etc, A day will come when an expected update in March will not happen as Apple will be working on changing the game or nothing more to add, just like the iMac currently.

You only live once and nothing is promised for tomorrow, So enjoy today. Peace

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I doubt it will have an immediate affect.

The old iPad will still work with thousands of accessories while one with the new connector will only be compatible with a handful of products (without an adaptor) when it's released.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Agreed. The 30 pin connector has been around for years making it very likely any potential buyer has accessories that use the 30 pin dock.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
And yet some will say, "oh, that's the older version, I was looking for the newer version"
It is a distinguishing factor
How much impact it will have?
Probably not much, but it will make a difference to some, no doubt

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
i have an ipad 3. will it hurt resale value if they update ipads next month with this port?
if they dont update it then it will be updated more than likely next march for the new one. Whats everybodys take on it?

It wouldn't hurt me, I've got three people lined up already asking to buy my iPad when I replace it.

SlyMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
I'd be very surprised if this had any effect on resale other than just no longer being the newest version availabe.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I'd be very surprised if this had any effect on resale other than just no longer being the newest version availabe.

Agreed. It's not like the resale buyers are likely to be amassing a large hoard of new accessories, and even so, it will undoubtedly be addressed by an adapter, so there's little to no difference.

shamash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2008
Portland, Oregon
I could see people wanting it MORE if the only change on the newer one is a smaller adapter. More compatibility with their existing products is a +.

SlyMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
It wouldn't hurt me, I've got three people lined up already asking to buy my iPad when I replace it.

You too? Whenever a new :apple: product is announced, people around the office always come to me asking if I'm going to be upgrading and if they can buy the old one.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
It's actually an Advantage since Accessories & Docks are compatible and don't need to use Adapters.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
If Apple update the charging port and then iFixit discover it also has a new 28nm soc that apple have not announced, then yes, it will hurt the resale value.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.