Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Several major retailers across the United States are seeing stock shortages of the 27-inch iMac as we approach Apple’s rumored September 12 event, sparking speculation that the popular all-in-one could be in line to receive a refresh alongside the iPhone 5 (and possibly even an iPad mini).

Sources for AppleBitch claim that Amazon, Best Buy, and J&R are seeing shortages of the 27-inch iMac, particularly the high-end model with the 3.1GHz processor. Best Buy is said to be completely out of this model — both online and in its retail stores — and it has no idea when the desktop will become available again.

It’s the same story for J&R, a major Apple reseller, which is also completely out of the high-end 27-inch iMac. As for Amazon, it does have small numbers of high-end models available, according to AppleBitch, but it has none of the entry-level 27-inch models.

What’s interesting is that stock of the 24-inch iMacs seems to be okay.

These shortages follow the discovery of a new iMac back in June, which popped up in Geekbench 2 benchmark tests with an Intel Core i7-3770 (Ivy Bridge) 3.4GHz quad-core processor, and 1,600 MHz RAM. Of course, existing iMacs features Intel’s older Sandy Bridge processor, accompanied by 1,333 MHz RAM.

In addition to this, it has been rumored that Apple would be bringing a Retina display to its most popular desktop following its introduction to the MacBook Pro. However, a 27-inch Retina display seems unlikely at this point. Even if it’s possible, it would cost a fortune.
http://www.cultofmac.com/186216/u-s...imac-shortage-ahead-of-september-apple-event/

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
I had no idea edry.hilario wrote for Cult of Mac! :D

What’s interesting is that stock of the 24-inch iMacs seems to be okay

Poor reporting though.

If they do put out new iMacs during an iOS event, it means we'll have a new data point to input into how they plan the events. I still find a silent refresh before or (more likely) after to be more plausible.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
First they move the mac pros out to make room for more ipad displays and then what's next, move the imacs out too? Discouraging. :mad:

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I agree with forty2j that its gonna need hard convincing before I think 12th of September is THE day. But still a good sign that it's becoming shortage of supplies :D we want the current model to away quickly!

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I had no idea edry.hilario wrote for Cult of Mac! :D

Poor reporting though.

If they do put out new iMacs during an iOS event, it means we'll have a new data point to input into how they plan the events. I still find a silent refresh before or (more likely) after to be more plausible.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.
Hey you have to admit we wish itd be today for all that matter. I hope its sooner than later. I agree poor reporting though they said "the 24" inch seems ok" apple doesnt even sell 24" imacs anymore. lol but i mean like i said before they are merging ios with osx so i dont care if its an iphone event anything could happen. Never say never. and no im not JB i hate that little prick.

Last edited:

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Interesting note: only 5 of the 19 Apple stores within 50 miles of me have at least 1 of all 4 iMac models in stock. When I check individual models, 11-13 have each one. This feels like it could be refreshing sooner than Sep 12. .. Or it could be that they're not stocking them because they're not selling.

----------

So, would you guys be happy with the new iMac Pro as linked below? ;)

http://www.pascaleggert.de/iMacPro.html

No, I am not the designer - a friend just sent me and I thought it was awesome.

That was posted here before. I think it's great for artists and poopy for just about everyone else.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
What about the mac minis? Do they usually update both together

17 have the entry, 16 the "top", and 18 have the server.

No, there's no correlation between Mini and iMac updates. They've been done together in the past, but, say, last year they did Mini simultaneous with the MBA, a couple months after the iMac.

Dillus

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
I don't understand why this is even worth starting a thread for. There have been iMac shortages off and on for half a year now, and nothing happened. Don't hold your breath, you'll be diappointed. Again.

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Interesting note: only 5 of the 19 Apple stores within 50 miles of me have at least 1 of all 4 iMac models in stock. When I check individual models, 11-13 have each one. This feels like it could be refreshing sooner than Sep 12. .. Or it could be that they're not stocking them because they're not selling.

Interesting here has well: 5 of the 20 stores in my 50 mile radius don't have the top end 21.5-inch and the out of stock stores have dates anywhere from August 27-29. High end 27-inch seems to be only out of stock in a few stores.

I think if the online store dates began to slip I'd be a little more optimistic, this could just be shuffling around inventory. Then again we didn't have that when the new MacBooks came out.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
It could just be the iMacs are selling very well now with back to school time here. Best Buy has been running a sale promo too so that might explain them selling well there with resultant shortages.

There is two sides to every coin. ;-)

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
strange I checked a couple of weeks ago at the norwegian stores and all pretty much had imacs. Now it seems they are all almost out. Seems like stocks are diminishing. If this is the end of the current iMac I´m impressed how apple manages to control the amount of imacs left before a new one comes out. It has to be controlled with an extreme precision. anyway, I´ve seen low stocks before too, so it can easily stay like this for a week or two with small batches coming in.

----------

It could just be the iMacs are selling very well now with back to school time here. Best Buy has been running a sale promo too so that might explain them selling well there with resultant shortages.

you just try very hard to be the pessimist troller - what a moronic attitude.
Yeah the old 1.5 years iMacs all of a sudden sells like hot cakes! ...this isn´t a very good argument if you want to stir up the forum, you gotta try better than that :D

iSengKin

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2012
I'm really hoping that this shortages is a sign that Apple is going to update its iMac line for 2012. It would be a wrong approach for Apple if it decides to update the iMac in 2013 (though recent reports already suggest only the iMac Pro will be receiving updates in 2013).

Wanted to get the 2011 model so badly last week, but I decided to hold my money first until a new, 2012 refresh version of the iMac is out. Therefore, I'm crossing my fingers for the moment.

HurtinMinorKey

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2012

Yesterday I saw a dumpster with aprox 20 empty iMac boxes in it. Looks like someone was outfitting an office. On a funny note this dumpster was right next to a strip club. It is San Francisco, so who knows :D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.