Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illpod.com

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Nottingham UK
I've just finished a blog article on ways i think Apple could save space in the new iPhone 5. Basically areas which i have highlighted as having potential to impact on the size of then iPhone 5 were:

- loudspeaker
- battery
- thickness of the screen glass and rear glass
- vibrator
- sim tray
- dock connector

From the rumor images i've seen so far all of these components seem to have changed or been tweaked in the iPhone 5. Has anyone got any other thoughts about other areas where they might save space in order to achieve the rumored 7.6mm rumored thickness?

If your so inclined you can read my full article:
part 1
part 2

I'd love to know peoples thoughts either on here or in the comments.

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Well the rumors do hint at Apple increasing the screen size which may make the phone slightly taller then the current iPhone. That could make room for better internals and allow the phone to be thinner. Technology does advance over the years so the components may have shrunk enough that it could be made thinner without having to increase the actual size of the phone.

illpod.com

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Nottingham UK
Well the rumors do hint at Apple increasing the screen size which may make the phone slightly taller then the current iPhone. That could make room for better internals and allow the phone to be thinner. Technology does advance over the years so the components may have shrunk enough that it could be made thinner without having to increase the actual size of the phone.
This is a good point, components are always getting smaller and i'm sure they will make use of that. Thats how they managed to put all the extra processing power of the 4S in the same size enclosure as the iPhone 4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.