Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spenser506

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Okay so im using my schools iPad. I jail-broke it and found out that they are suspendeding people who jailbreak them. so i deleted cydia and thought all the apps with it would go like ifile and installus but they didn't. So ive been reading alot and i cant figure out how to install cydia back on without restoreing so i thought maybe if i back it up with all the school apps and such then re-install or re jailbreak it , then restore it with the back up data and have cydia plus installus and all the other apps and then be able to delete installus and ifile through cydia. but i have no idea if this will work and im scared ill mess something up. can someone tell me if this will work or if there is another way to fix this ..? please and thank you ):

Spenser506

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
): :(:(:(:(:( meanys ): whats the or? comon. i didnt know.. thats why im trying to remove it

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
how did you delete cydia anyway? just curious. do you need to SSH into the iPad to do it?

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
No offense, but you don't seem like you know enough about these things to be jailbreaking. But jailbreaking is legal.

Just restore it with iTunes or re-jailbreak it then delete all of your apps/mods.

----------

how did you delete cydia anyway? just curious. do you need to SSH into the iPad to do it?

There is a tweak that lets you delete Cydia apps like normal apps, and it doesn't allow you to delete Cydia unless you go and disable the protection.

Last edited:

Spenser506

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
There is a way to delete it on the app itself i don't remember exactly. and i do know alot. and like i what would be a better excuse then it asked for it because if it asked for it more students would say the same thing. i would need a serious error that would happen. you could help me out that way haha.

----------

I'll tell you tomorrow. Honest. There is a way, I'll just wait.

Okay i have alot of time to fix it. Thanks. take your time to tell me :D

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
There is a way to delete it on the app itself i don't remember exactly. and i do know alot. and like i what would be a better excuse then it asked for it because if it asked for it more students would say the same thing. i would need a serious error that would happen. you could help me out that way haha.
:D
I think you need to stop playing with your iPad and pay attention in class. Maybe there you will learn that the first letter in a sentence is always capitalized. ;)

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
1st off you DON'T ACCIDENTALLY delete Cydia 2nd you went a head and did what you knew was wrong with the schools property. 3rd you were using the schools property to download illegal apps (yup that's suspension no doubt about it) I agree just man up and go in the office before you get called in. you were over your head on this before you even started. Good luck!

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I think it's funny that people are pointing out that it's legal to jailbreak. That's completely irrelevant. It's not his iPad...it's the school's. They have a policy that you can't jailbreak their devices (rightly so, IMO). The school can do whatever is in their power to do to students who break the rules, including suspension.

It's legal to call someone foul names...but try telling that to your teacher when you're suspended or in multiple detentions that it was legal for them to say these things.

Legal rights do not equal 'zero consequences.' You have a right to tell your boss off and to run around screaming in your office. Your boss also has the right to fire you for it. You just can't be arrested for it. Same thing here.

Spenser506

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
I think you need to stop playing with your iPad and pay attention in class. Maybe there you will learn that the first letter in a sentence is always capitalized. ;)

I get all As and Bs. And we cant even use them in class. calm down. i use it at home for games when im bored, and i just need a solution.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I get all As and Bs. And we cant even use them in class. calm down. i use it at home for games when im bored, and i just need a solution.

So the school is just loaning everyone iPads that they can't use in class? Also, I reread and saw "Installous", so I no longer have sympathy for you, thief.

----------

I think it's funny that people are pointing out that it's legal to jailbreak. That's completely irrelevant. It's not his iPad...it's the school's. They have a policy that you can't jailbreak their devices (rightly so, IMO). The school can do whatever is in their power to do to students who break the rules, including suspension.

The rule doesn't make sense. It's as if jailbreaking could actually harm the iPad, which it can't. I'm assuming the school thought jailbreaking was illegal and got all strict about it.

My old school had a Mac OS X server behind the computers (very smart). They had AFP available to the WAN. I would connect to the school server from home, enter my username/password, and copy any files I forgot to take home. People considered that "hacking". I didn't get caught, but someone else who also did it got caught.

teamjaycub

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Why don't you just poof all of the JB apps like iFile, Cydia, installous, etc.?

That way, they would never that the appstore apps are pirated..

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Unfortunately I can't remain calm when I see what has happened to the children these days. Thank heavens my kids grew up before all this stuff became so popular. You should read a book when you are "bored." You know, books, those things that have lots of pages made of paper you need to turn every few seconds instead of pirating software. :D

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
The rule doesn't make sense. It's as if jailbreaking could actually harm the iPad, which it can't. I'm assuming the school thought jailbreaking was illegal and got all strict about it.

The rule makes perfect sense. These are not the students' iPads....the school is responsible not only for repairing them should the be an issue (and providing support), but jailbreaking technically voids the warranty. You think it's unreasonable for a public entity to have rules so that their own property doesn't have the warranty voided? Not to mention jailbreaking the iPad does two things: when the student turns it in at the end of the year, it adds time for the IT personnel to restore the iPad to new and unjailbreak...which they may not know how to do properly, which adds work to them and costs the district money. Second, if they DON'T restore before giving them back out, there's the potential for someone to install some sort of hack that will then funnel private data from the next user back to the first user. I'm sure the school doesn't want to take any chances with something like that, regardless of how remote the possibility may be.

I can pretty much guarantee that 90% of businesses have the same rules for their computing equipment.

Finally, it doesn't matter what the reason is...the fact is, it's against school rules. Your belief that the rule doesn't make sense is irrelevant. On your own devices, you can do what you want, but this isn't his iPad.

Spenser506

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Okay so how do i restore it....

----------

The rule makes perfect sense. These are not the students' iPads....the school is responsible not only for repairing them should the be an issue (and providing support), but jailbreaking technically voids the warranty. You think it's unreasonable for a public entity to have rules so that their own property doesn't have the warranty voided? Not to mention jailbreaking the iPad does two things: when the student turns it in at the end of the year, it adds time for the IT personnel to restore the iPad to new and unjailbreak...which they may not know how to do properly, which adds work to them and costs the district money. Second, if they DON'T restore before giving them back out, there's the potential for someone to install some sort of hack that will then funnel private data from the next user back to the first user. I'm sure the school doesn't want to take any chances with something like that, regardless of how remote the possibility may be.

I can pretty much guarantee that 90% of businesses have the same rules for their computing equipment.

Finally, it doesn't matter what the reason is...the fact is, it's against school rules. Your belief that the rule doesn't make sense is irrelevant. On your own devices, you can do what you want, but this isn't his iPad.

Oh and by the way i paid 600$ just to borrow this ipad for the year. Pathedic right? they couldn't even let us get our own. instead we have to borrow ir for 600$....... i hate my school ):

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Oh and by the way i paid 600$ just to borrow this ipad for the year. Pathedic right? they couldn't even let us get our own. instead we have to borrow ir for 600$....... i hate my school ):

You had to pay $600 for an iPad you don't get to keep and don't get to use in class? What's the point? You should just get your own iPad and hack it all you want. If all you're doing is using at home for games, there's no way they could tell (or punish you for buying an iPad that's not from them).

Last edited:

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Okay so how do i restore it....Oh and by the way i paid 600$ just to borrow this ipad for the year. Pathedic right? they couldn't even let us get our own. instead we have to borrow ir for 600$....... i hate my school ):

Wow...Um. So how do they force you to 'rent' theirs for the same price as a new one? Why couldn't you just buy your own and bring it instead? There's got to be some legal issue there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.