Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:04 PM   #1
jpine
macrumors 6502

Is is possible to recover an "overwrite" file folder?

My wife just overwrote a file folder that contained several important documents and .key (Keynote) files. I know I can get a "deleted" file back relatively easily with Disk Drill. My fear is that the content of the original file folder is gone for good because of the overwrite. Please tell me I'm wrong.
jpine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Mal
macrumors 603

Just overwriting it doesn't mean the actual disk space was overwritten. That's a system function, but the files may have been stored elsewhere on the physical disk. Same procedures apply. STOP USING YOUR COMPUTER IMMEDIATELY, or you risk losing the files anyways. If you have a copy of Disk Drill already, run it's deleted files scan and see if the files show up.

jW
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:20 PM   #3
jpine
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Just overwriting it doesn't mean the actual disk space was overwritten. That's a system function, but the files may have been stored elsewhere on the physical disk. Same procedures apply. STOP USING YOUR COMPUTER IMMEDIATELY, or you risk losing the files anyways. If you have a copy of Disk Drill already, run it's deleted files scan and see if the files show up.

jW
I did have her stop what she was doing and I did run the deleted file scan to no avail. I'm doing the deep scan as we speak. I am not hopeful.
jpine is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store