Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cloudyo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
I am looking for a 32 GB - 64 GB flash drive that works with the retina MBP. I own 2 flash drives that do not seem to be fully compatible and i want to spare myself the hassle of buying another one and then having to return it.

To make it clear what i mean by "not fully compatible" here is my experience so far:

The oldest of my flash drives is a USB 2.0 Corsair Flash Survivor. It isn't recognized at all by the rMBP. The LED doesn't blink after i connect it and it doesn't show up in "System Report". If i leave it connected anyway the built in Keyboard, Trackpad and Bluetooth stop working (they are all on the internal USB bus)... At first i thought that Finder locked up but pressing the power button triggered the dialog box that asks me if i really want to shut down. :(

The other one is a Super Talent USB 3.0 flash drive. It is working fine as far as i can tell under Mountain Lion. Booting from it however is impossible. It shows up in the boot manger but after i click it the LED glows continuously and after a while the Macbook shows me a crossed out circle instead of the Apple Logo. At this point only a forced shutdown works.

So, can anybody recommend a flash drive that works on the rMBP and that you have tried to boot from?

Thanks in advance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.