Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

punk912

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
So I picked up a Power Mac G4 from a dumpster. Its a PowerMac 3,6 - that mirror drive edition. Anyway it won't start when the power button is pressed. However when I connect it to the 17" Apple Studio display (the one that does not have its own power cord) and press the power button that comes with the display then everything works, the computer runs fine.

So the problem looks like the power button on the PowerMac is broken. Now when I disconnect the display and connect the USB keyboard with the power button, the PowerMac still won't start when I press the power button on the keyboard.

Please any mac expert knows what this problem is ? I know the keyboard must work because I can start another PowerMac G4 with this keyboard.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
A few people I know had/have dodgy power buttons on their MDD's so it sounds like it's a pretty common issue. And I believe the MDD's are too new to boot up from the power button on the Pro Keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.