Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:57 AM   #301
Robert.Walter
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsta View Post
Have you tried the 'timing your real-world battery life' b.s. or are you just posting what it predicts in the menu bar like 99% of people seem to be doing on this thread?
Don't like your tone, not going to answer you.
Robert.Walter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:01 AM   #302
dark knight
macrumors regular

Thunderbolt/USB Audio problem

When i saw the 'thunderbolt audio' problem had been addressed i was hopeful that the same problem that affects USB2 audio devices would also be solved. Alas no :/
dark knight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:13 AM   #303
mateus
macrumors member

Update for me was only 7MB! Yes seven, not 70 or 700. Downloaded and installed in under a minute!

Not noticed any different but hopefully the random graphical glitches have been cured. Shutdown still takes ages.
mateus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:40 AM   #304
Maniraja
macrumors newbie

Oh well battery indicator still on rapid countdown after 10.8.1 install. I've only had my MacAir on for an hour and I'm down to 58% already. Before 10.8 I was going all day now I'm lucky to get an afternoon before shut down. Hard to understand why this is happening (56%). Is there something I should do now that 10.8.1 hasn't fixed the issue. My old 17" MacPro lasts longer than my Air now as I've not updated it. Can I go back to 10.7. There seems to be a lot of negativity from those that don't have the battery problem on the web. Any suggestions or shall I just have to wait till 10.8.2 ? (55%)...
Maniraja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:00 AM   #305
satcomer
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinegarTasters View Post
The magical disappearing Application Window Bug still exists in this update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBFkB7x6duw
What Mac are use using? Are you on Intel of the installed video card when this happens? More information please. Plus look at the installed Quicktime to Mac a screencast style video in the future instead of a shaky hand held camera video.
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:11 AM   #306
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by monti View Post
It was a 4,3GB download on my aluminium Macbook @ home, with a "full OS installer" as it upgraded.

But it was a ~20MB download on my 2011 Macbook Pro @ work, with a small "upgrading" dialogue.

I didn't do anything differently at the two machines. Both were 10.8.0 before the upgrade, and I just pressed "Upgrade" in App Store on both of them.
The first machine must have had the installer still on it (probably because you moved or copied it before it self deleted). On that machine it should have showed you two download options, one for the full one and one for the much smaller updater.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:13 AM   #307
SkippyThorson
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to SkippyThorson
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinevolvo View Post
How do I check if the installer is still on my system?
In your Applications folder, you would have a +4GB application titled Install Mac OS X Lion or Install OS X Mountain Lion, just sitting there like any other application.

I have them only because I'm neurotic about backups, and I want the Installer available to me (both digitally and on DVD) should Apple remove it - like they did with Lion. If it isn't in your purchase history, it's not available to you in the App Store; only Mountain Lion is.

If the system picks up that you have the OS X Installer in your Applications folder, it will want to update the installer to the newest release; the full +4GB. The best bet is to move it off the computer to some other backup location.
Or make DVDs.
Or both.
Like me.
SkippyThorson is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:53 AM   #308
EdRed
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
OS X 10.8.1 is a relatively small update at just 24.2 MB
It was ~7MB for my late 2007 MacBook Pro.
EdRed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:12 AM   #309
kalsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Walter View Post
Don't like your tone, not going to answer you.
It was a rhetorical question buddy.
kalsta is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:25 PM   #310
M5RahuL
macrumors 65832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
Great news! Is this a MBP or MBA?
MBP, as listed in my sig.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNomNoms View Post

Just out of curiosity do you have an nVidia GPU? if you force the laptop to only use the Intel GPU built on the CPU (assuming you have an i-series Intel processor) is there an improvement on the battery life?
Yes, it has the 650m NVIDIA [ Retina MBP ]. The posted stats were based on iGPU, not the dGPU. I have forced GfX to use the HD4000 when on battery.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:54 PM   #311
jasonx2
macrumors member

After looking through each comment in this post, I discovered that this update mostly benefits the macbook air users and for the retina macbook pro users, the battery life becomes even worse. 8 out of 10 users (including me )reported their battery life can only last for a few hours (5-6 maybe?). I hope Apple can fix this problem in their coming updates cuz all the so called amazing,astonishing,incredible new features are all based on the power supply.
iPad2 64GB
jasonx2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:48 PM   #312
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjancef View Post
I have the same thing, weird. I let it download and install, then rebooted, and it wanted to go through the initial Mountain Lion setup, so I cancelled it. Now I get a persistent "1" in the App store showing an update, and when I check it, it still has the Mountain Lion update waiting for me to download. I've rebooted multiple times, and even checked "About this Mac", and it clearly says 10.8.1.

When I try to download the update through the App store, I get a box that has 2 of the same alerts:

Would you like to continue?

OS X 10.8 is already installed on this computer. Are you sure you want to download it?

OS X 10.8 is already installed on this computer. Are you sure you want to download it?

I get 2 choices: Cancel or continue.

HELP!!!!!!!
I didn't let it download, but still have the damn 1 in the update section. Annoying.
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:09 PM   #313
hfg
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhurst View Post
I didn't let it download, but still have the damn 1 in the update section. Annoying.
You may have your original huge ML installer download somewhere on your disk (the updater WILL find it).

Normally, it is removed at the completion of the ML upgrade, but many people copied it to another location to save it for possible USB Drive upgrade to additional Mac machines.

Use Spotlight to find it, then either delete it or move it to an external removable disk. Once it is gone, you should find the update notification will also be gone.
hfg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:12 PM   #314
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfg View Post
You may have your original huge ML installer download somewhere on your disk (the updater WILL find it).

Normally, it is removed at the completion of the ML upgrade, but many people copied it to another location to save it for possible USB Drive upgrade to additional Mac machines.

Use Spotlight to find it, then either delete it or move it to an external removable disk. Once it is gone, you should find the update notification will also be gone.
Success! You rock.
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:24 PM   #315
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Still no fix on my wifi. Still dropping connection!

10.5 no trouble
10.6 no trouble
10.7 no trouble
10.8 and wifi hell
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:15 PM   #316
munkery
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhurst View Post
Success! You rock.
No,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chevrolet-camaro-z28-iroc-01.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	354308  
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:11 AM   #317
lgtw
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to lgtw
I don't about you guys, but I've been having some really bad freeze problems with my SystemUIServer process (the right half of the menubar). I've even taken out most non-native menubar items, and still freezes (clock freezes, can't access volume, WiFi settings, Bluetooth settings, or Spotlight).

I hope that's fixed in this, some kind of small patch, or in 10.8.2.
-LGTW (:
lgtw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:03 PM   #318
CLuv
macrumors 6502

I found the same issue with the battery performance after upgrading from Lion to Mountain Lion and then to 10.8.1. I tried resetting the SMC and PRAM. Even after recently upgrading my HDD to SSD, I still saw an issue with the battery performance. Internet recovery steps downloaded Lion first and then I upgraded to 10.8.1 and the issue was still present. I would estimate battery life was down approximately 50%. So yesterday I decided to wipe the drive and install 10.8.1 from a USB so I could skip all the OS upgrades and go fresh. I still reset the SMC and PRAM after the clean install and restore from Time Machine. I then did a calibration of the battery, as one last step and I'm very happy to go from ~3.5 hours at 99% to ~7.5 hours at 99%. It is frustrating to see the battery performance drop that significantly, but a clean install definitely cleared out the issue.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:28 AM   #319
grapii
macrumors member

graphics card switching

Quote:
Originally Posted by walex19 View Post
What about the graphics card switching bug that gives the screen a blue tint sometimes on certain programs?

Still an issue i'm afraid!
grapii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:42 AM   #320
Zedman5526
macrumors newbie

anynews about the UI stutter/lag fix?
Zedman5526 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:27 PM   #321
iluomo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by koban4max View Post
how's ML?
Just saw this... I actually love 10.8.2 now, though I still hate the Flagged & VIP mailboxes. Fortunately, I've been able to keep them out of play by not flagging things any more.

Otherwise, ML is really fast and, honestly, beautiful in terms of interface.
iluomo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:17 PM   #322
koban4max
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluomo View Post
Just saw this... I actually love 10.8.2 now, though I still hate the Flagged & VIP mailboxes. Fortunately, I've been able to keep them out of play by not flagging things any more.

Otherwise, ML is really fast and, honestly, beautiful in terms of interface.
yeah i just recently dl it. it's not bad from SL
koban4max is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion