Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
I was planning on upgrading to the next iPhone, but then started to wonder what capacity I was going to need. I'll give a little info about what I'm currently using on my iPhone 4

So, I currently have a 16GB iPhone 4 that I bought off of Craigslist last year. I have about 200 songs, 680 pics, 26 vids, and 99 apps. This leaves me with 4.8GB free. This is all of the things I've added onto my iPhone since June 2011. I could probably delete some of my apps (~20) and still be alright. I mostly have games though for when I'm on the road to keep me entertained. Assuming the pictures and video taken by the next iPhone will be of higher quality and consume more space (as is the case with the iPhone 4S when compared to the iPhone 4, although I'm not sure how much bigger in size the pics from the iPhone 4S are), and I take another 600-700 pics and 20-30 videos, I thought that it might be going over the 16GB limit.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation that could offer some input? Of course I'm the only one who can make this decision since it is based on my usage, but I'd still like some input from other users.

Yes, getting the 32GB is only another $100, but I'm only 17 and I don't work as much during the school year so I'll be making considerably less than I do in the summer. Granted, I most likely will have enough money to buy the 32GB, but the question is, do I need all that space? If I don't end up needing it, I'd prefer not to pay for extra space that I won't use.

Thanks. :)

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Just go 32GB and stop worrying. :cool:

So do you plan to upgrade to the latest every year? Judging by your student info, your not so I think a 32GB would be a worth investment in the long run.

When you buy an iPhone it never has the said amount of storage. 32GB actually is something like 28.5GB with preinstalled software 16GB I think is like 14.5GB.

Another thing is if you use iCloud a lot/not alot.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
i was planning on upgrading to the next iphone, but then started to wonder what capacity i was going to need. I'll give a little info about what i'm currently using on my iphone 4

so, i currently have a 16gb iphone 4 that i bought off of craigslist last year. I have about 200 songs, 680 pics, 26 vids, and 99 apps. This leaves me with 4.8gb free. This is all of the things i've added onto my iphone since june 2011. I could probably delete some of my apps (~20) and still be alright. I mostly have games though for when i'm on the road to keep me entertained. Assuming the pictures and video taken by the next iphone will be of higher quality and consume more space (as is the case with the iphone 4s when compared to the iphone 4, although i'm not sure how much bigger in size the pics from the iphone 4s are), and i take another 600-700 pics and 20-30 videos, i thought that it might be going over the 16gb limit.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation that could offer some input? Of course i'm the only one who can make this decision since it is based on my usage, but i'd still like some input from other users.

Yes, getting the 32gb is only another $100, but i'm only 17 and i don't work as much during the school year so i'll be making considerably less than i do in the summer. Granted, i most likely will have enough money to buy the 32gb, but the question is, do i need all that space? If i don't end up needing it, i'd prefer not to pay for extra space that i won't use.

64 gb

Duckit

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2011
NJ, USA
If you're ok with watching your space, 16GB is fine! Most of the time you don't really need all of those apps all of the time, and if you happen to need an app that you deleted you could always reinstall it! You could also transfer pictures that you do not need on you all the time to your computer to save space. 16GB should be fine!

Hope I helped! :)

SlyMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
I find 16GB to be comfortable for me. I have about 20-30 apps, several 100MB podcasts, 5-6GB worth of music, a few TV shows, and under 50 photos at any given time. I am comfortable with 16GB and rarely get within 1GB of full.

Its all about storage management. If you can handle clearing out the old for the new, 16GB should be fine. Don't be an app hoarder (i know people who have a 64GB iPhone with several hundred apps (90% of which are used once and left alone).

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
16gb and your always thinking "ooh have I got enough space?"

Just go for the 32gb, good luck with getting a job to pay for the extra, it will be worth the effort and should you ever come to sell it the larger memory device will be more in demand.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Just go 32GB and stop worrying. :cool:

So do you plan to upgrade to the latest every year? Judging by your student info, your not so I think a 32GB would be a worth investment in the long run.

When you buy an iPhone it never has the said amount of storage. 32GB actually is something like 28.5GB with preinstalled software 16GB I think is like 14.5GB.

Another thing is if you use iCloud a lot/not alot.

No way will I be upgrading every year lol. Every 2 years is when I upgrade. :) I do use iCloud a lot (everything is set to "on" in the iCloud settings on my iPhone).

Lol. ;) No way I'd ever use all 64GB. A worthy suggestion, nonetheless.

If you're ok with watching your space, 16GB is fine! Most of the time you don't really need all of those apps all of the time, and if you happen to need an app that you deleted you could always reinstall it! You could also transfer pictures that you do not need on you all the time to your computer to save space. 16GB should be fine!

Hope I helped! :)

That is what I was thinking of doing, but assuming I will only be loading more music/pics/videos on my iPhone, and maybe even some more games, I don't know if that will keep me under 16GB for the next 2 years as I only upgrade every 2 years. I am currently putting some photos on Dropbox and my Mac, but I prefer to have the majority of them on my iPhone so that I can share them with friends, family, etc. Pics are the only thing I like keeping on my phone (as in all of them), but I don't mind taking off some music as I only usually listen to a couple of songs unless I'm going on a road trip or something.

I understand I will never need to have all those photos and videos on my iPhone at all times, but for some reason I feel as if they're very personal to me and I like having them there at all times. Don't ask me why, because even I don't know why lol.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. They do help quite a lot!

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
I think 16GB might get a little tight for me and so I may pay extra for the 32GB and not have to worry. It is better to have storage and not need it than need storage and not have it.

Although... the problem of trying to justify paying $100/£100 for the 32GB over the 16GB could be solved if Apple stick to the same price points and offer 32/64/128GB storage options. Unlikely, but hey... we can all still hope ;)

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
I find 16GB to be comfortable for me. I have about 20-30 apps, several 100MB podcasts, 5-6GB worth of music, a few TV shows, and under 50 photos at any given time. I am comfortable with 16GB and rarely get within 1GB of full.

Its all about storage management. If you can handle clearing out the old for the new, 16GB should be fine. Don't be an app hoarder (i know people who have a 64GB iPhone with several hundred apps (90% of which are used once and left alone).

I agree with you on the app hoarder part. I'm more of a game hoarder. I like a big variety because sometimes I want a puzzle game, sometimes I want an action game, sometimes I want a challenging game, sometimes I want a game with objectives, etc., etc., you get the point. What I do keep in mind, though, is the size of the games. I don't have any games over 100MB-150MB and I have 36 games, and that's after I deleted the old ones that I stopped playing.

16gb and your always thinking "ooh have I got enough space?"

Just go for the 32gb, good luck with getting a job to pay for the extra, it will be worth the effort and should you ever come to sell it the larger memory device will be more in demand.

It's not that I don't have the job, it's just that I'm trying to save money for college (only one more year till I'm there), so I'm trying to save whatever I can, and although it's only $100, it counts. I'll probably end up springing for the 32GB, and you do bring up a good point with the larger memory device.

Thanks again for the all of the replies!

----------

I think 16GB might get a little tight for me and so I may pay extra for the 32GB and not have to worry. It is better to have storage and not need it than need storage and not have it.

Although... the problem of trying to justify paying $100/£100 for the 32GB over the 16GB could be solved if Apple stick to the same price points and offer 32/64/128GB storage options. Unlikely, but hey... we can all still hope ;)

Never thought of it that way, that's a very good point to bring up. That'll have a big impact on what I decide to go for, but that is definitely swaying me in getting the 32GB.

I too am hoping for those capacities at the those price points lol, and yes they are unlikely, but you never know, it could be marketed as giving double the space for the same price.

teamjaycub

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Who knows? Maybe Apple will get rid of the 16GB version, making the 32GB the lowest price model. :D

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Assuming they don't increase the capacity of the base model, I'd personally still go 16GB

I'm rarely away from home, which means I have easy and daily access to iTunes. I move photos off as needed, swap playlists every once in a while, and still have about 4GB free. I'd want more if I shot a lot of video, or spent a long time away from home, but I don't.

If I had an extra $100, I'd probably keep my 16GB preference and spend the extra cash on Applecare+ (in case I ever dropped it).

;)

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
64 is the only way to go.
I settled for the 32gig on my new iPad and I have been having to remove things that I never had to do with my 64gig ipad2

I would never do what you did and go from a larger size down to a smaller one, because you've already become accustomed to 64GB.

Who knows? Maybe Apple will get rid of the 16GB version, making the 32GB the lowest price model. :D

That's what I'm hoping for! Come on Apple!

Assuming they don't increase the capacity of the base model, I'd personally still go 16GB

I'm rarely away from home, which means I have easy and daily access to iTunes. I move photos off as needed, swap playlists every once in a while, and still have about 4GB free. I'd want more if I shot a lot of video, or spent a long time away from home, but I don't.

If I had an extra $100, I'd probably keep my 16GB preference and spend the extra cash on Applecare+ (in case I ever dropped it).

;)

How many days do I have till I can buy AppleCare+ after I've already bought the iPhone? Is it 14 days or 30 days?

damitssam

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
I had to clean up my 32 GB iphone since I ran out of space. Couldn't believe it when I bought it, but all those HD movies can take the dump on your space real quick.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I always find it funny when people ask questions like this. OP, you would know your needs better than any of us here. Do you ask other people how much to eat?

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
I'm going to get the 32GB as I had a 32GB iPhone 4 and need at least that with the new one. Maybe, just maybe Apple will finally decide to get rid of the puny 16GB and replace the $199 iPhone with 32GB. But its Apple and they would never do such a thing

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
I always find it funny when people ask questions like this. OP, you would know your needs better than any of us here. Do you ask other people how much to eat?

From my OP (see bolded text):

I was planning on upgrading to the next iPhone, but then started to wonder what capacity I was going to need. I'll give a little info about what I'm currently using on my iPhone 4

So, I currently have a 16GB iPhone 4 that I bought off of Craigslist last year. I have about 200 songs, 680 pics, 26 vids, and 99 apps. This leaves me with 4.8GB free. This is all of the things I've added onto my iPhone since June 2011. I could probably delete some of my apps (~20) and still be alright. I mostly have games though for when I'm on the road to keep me entertained. Assuming the pictures and video taken by the next iPhone will be of higher quality and consume more space (as is the case with the iPhone 4S when compared to the iPhone 4, although I'm not sure how much bigger in size the pics from the iPhone 4S are), and I take another 600-700 pics and 20-30 videos, I thought that it might be going over the 16GB limit.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation that could offer some input? Of course I'm the only one who can make this decision since it is based on my usage, but I'd still like some input from other users.

Yes, getting the 32GB is only another $100, but I'm only 17 and I don't work as much during the school year so I'll be making considerably less than I do in the summer. Granted, I most likely will have enough money to buy the 32GB, but the question is, do I need all that space? If I don't end up needing it, I'd prefer not to pay for extra space that I won't use.

I realize that I'm the only one who can make this decision, but as I said in my OP, I'd still like other users input.

Also, the following users input is what also really swayed me into getting it (the bolded text):

So yes, other users input definitely can help, even though in the end only I can answer my own question.

Anyways, I also calculated some costs and I'll definitely have enough for the 32GB so, with that, it's settled. I will be getting the 32GB new iPhone or iPhone 5, whatever it's called.

Thanks all for the input, it was very much appreciated! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.