Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bellboy1982

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Scotland
Hello,

When i first set up my gmail on my MBA 2 weeks ago it started working fine with email coming and going. Then out of the blue it stopped sending emails. After some googling i tried setting up 2 step verification which seem to work for a while but then tonight when responding to an email it failed advising that the outgoing mail server was offline.

I can't get it working, just says "outgoing mail server" (smtp) gmail offline.

Any ideas of a fix?

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Hello,

When i first set up my gmail on my MBA 2 weeks ago it started working fine with email coming and going. Then out of the blue it stopped sending emails. After some googling i tried setting up 2 step verification which seem to work for a while but then tonight when responding to an email it failed advising that the outgoing mail server was offline.

I can't get it working, just says "outgoing mail server" (smtp) gmail offline.

Any ideas of a fix?

Did you set an application specific password in the gmail settings?
from gmail:
Application-specific passwords

Some applications that access your Google Account from your phone, desktop, or other devices (like mobile Gmail, desktop Picasa, or AdWords Editor) cannot ask for verification codes.

To use these applications, you'll need to enter an application-specific password in the password field instead of your account password.

bellboy1982

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Scotland
Have you tried taking all of your mail accounts offline, then back online?

What delete them all off the machine totally?

Can't seem to find the delete button...

Totally new to Mac

----------

Did you set an application specific password in the gmail settings?
from gmail:
Application-specific passwords

Some applications that access your Google Account from your phone, desktop, or other devices (like mobile Gmail, desktop Picasa, or AdWords Editor) cannot ask for verification codes.

To use these applications, you'll need to enter an application-specific password in the password field instead of your account password.

I'm sure i done the step 2 verification thing. It asks me to type in the name of my device and then generates a password to use.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Sounds like you have done it then. Maybe Gmail is having issues. Apple Mail and gmail get confused sometimes on my setup. I leave it for a few minutes and try again. No idea why. Not a good fix I know, but I'm at a loss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.