Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stu.h

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
Basically, you need to modify the Info.plist file inside the

\private\var\mobile\applications\FaceBookApp folder

It looks like they have intentionally left out support for iPhones, whereas it has full support on the iPad.

Simply add the extra 3 screen UI's to be the same as the iPads settings and you can have the iPhone at any of the 4 orientations

fbplist.png

:D

----------

Hmm, although this works fine, when updating your own status it reverts back to 'portrait', yet when replying to others, you can type in Landscape fine.

Also looking through the files, it looks like the iPad has the addition of the 'Nearby' module, whereas it has been left out for iPhones.

Lets add it back in for iPhones :D

stu.h

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
I got hold of the plist for the iPad and its exactly the same. Might be something thats hard coded into the main file.

I'm finding browsing the new FB app in landscape is good tho, so definitely worth modding your info.plist file for this option

:D

lnchne1

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2012
How do you get to the info.plish and where?

Stu.h

How do you get to the info.plish - where?
Can you tell us how you got to the info.plish and with what program and how did you fix it.

Thanks

damian

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2010
Ok, I followed the directions provided by Stu.h, essentially, by opening this file:

music>itunes>itunes music>mobile applications>facebook 5.2.2.ipa

on my mac with a free program called Pacifist. I then used Pacifist to copy this file:

contents of facebook 5.2.2.ipa>payload>facebook.app>info.plist

to my desktop.

I then opened info.plist with a free program called Pref Setter.

Lo and behold, the screen orientations that Stu.h suggested adding for the iPhone are already there (except for PortraitUpsideDown, which, who cares—see attached photo). So this method no longer works, it seems.

I recall that Facebook rebuilt their iPhone app from scratch not long ago. Was that after Stu.h posted these instructions? Regardless, I wonder whether Facebook made it impossible to use landscape mode in version 5.2.2 of the app, regardless of the prefs? Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-03 at 8.03.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-03 at 8.03.20 PM.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 370

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If the info is already there and landscape doesn't work then I don't think the app takes into account the other screen orientations. I don't get why that "feature" would be removed.

Michael18284

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
Well you said they just rebuilt the app from the ground up, maybe that's a feature that isn't a top priority. If they're rewriting the entire app, then the code for the old app wouldn't work in the new program or else it would be the old app. So we probably just have to wait for some updates.

I too hate not being able to type in landscape. I like portrait for newsfeed and profiles, but landscape for pictures and typing.

Come on it can't be THAT hard just add it back FB!

----------

It would also be awesome if FB would collaborate with google and intel and just read our minds and do everything for us. You could just think it and it would happen!

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
I know this may seem simplistic, but if you use Safari for Facebook it will do landscape and you don't have to modify anything. Am I missing something or is the Facebook app better for some reason?

stu.h

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
Off topic, but what are the bits next to the time at the top of your screen? Next to the time I mean...

It was the date and free memory on my Jailbroken 4S.

If the info is already there and landscape doesn't work then I don't think the app takes into account the other screen orientations. I don't get why that "feature" would be removed.

Looks like its now hard coded into the app so iPhone can only use portrait. Might have a look at it tomorrow, wow this thread was from months ago!

I think I may need an iPad .plist file to compareImage

I compared back in August and it was identical, but that was a few versions ago. I've got a 4th gen iPad so should be able to access the files required for landscape, but if its hard coded, nothing will work. We'll see :)

I know this may seem simplistic, but if you use Safari for Facebook it will do landscape and you don't have to modify anything. Am I missing something or is the Facebook app better for some reason?

Facebook app much more convenient and fluid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.