Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rt110

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
So...
I wanted to reset my ipod touch before giving it to my kids, so I used the reset function in the settings menu to wipe it.

But after waiting a while I found the ipod showing the 'connect cable to itunes' picture, however the device was not detected by itunes although it was plugged in (and I tried a second cable, and a second mac, just to make sure).

So I manually put the device into DFU mode using the home and power button, and now the device is showing a blank screen and is as lifeless as can be.

But it is still not detected by itunes, so I cannot ask itunes to restore the software. Has the ipod gone? Is it fit only to be buried? Itunes is up to date, and I have tried on another machine as well, and have tried a spare cable.

If anyone has had a similar issue and figured out a solution I'd be very grateful!

lucasapple

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2012
New York
I've had that happen to me a couple times! Try holding down both the power button and the home button until the Apple logo shows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.