Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
If the RAM works... enough people have noted increases in heat, strange lock-ups, etc, and those who seem to be confident give no indication they ran any burn-in tests (e.g. 3 repetitions of comprehensive RAM tests to see if it can handle the stress one would need the RAM for...)

Thanks much for the links, y'all... if the ratings remain high, I might splurge and try again (or maybe my 2011 MBP, despite being compatible, just isn't... works rock-solid at 8GB)

Actually, for $99, I'll give it a shot. Running VMs on my MBP would be rather nice,t and maybe the RAM I got last year was defective... which was:

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-SO-DI...28796&sr=1-3-fkmr0&keywords=16gb+79.99+laptop

Yeah, the time makes all the difference, others did chime in repeating 'poor quality'...

Last edited:

MacBookProzak

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
Been running the Corsair Vengeance since June 14 in the new cMBP you see in the signature line.

This RAM has posed no problem at all. I run the hell out of this MBP and the harder I pushed it the harder it worked and pushed everything through it.

In my 2011 similarly configured MBP I used the Corsair 16GB for that machine (not the Vengeance RAM that is configured for the 2012) and there were alot of people all over that said that this cheap memory was gonna ruin that machine, well in the 7 months that I was running that memory I had zero issues, no beach balls, just smooth sailing. In a few threads about that Corsair memory I asked for facts with details on exactly the damage that it would cause using Corsair and those threads never got a reply with any facts and details. The only difference that was factually with details was the cost of the Corsair vs the OWC other expensive "kool kids" brands if it is very important for you to be part of that club.

As for the Vengeance RAM, 10 to 12 hour days 5 to 6 days a week with this memory of very intensive MBP use I have had no issues, no excessive fans coming on, no excessive heat and everything seems very normal considering all the editing, rendering and outputting I am doing. Temp under rendering while working on a video is usually 128 degrees and then when I am outputting the video the temp will go up to about 150 degrees and the fans will run anywhere between 5300 to 6000 rpm.

For the price, everyone should throw this much RAM in their machine

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Both of the sets I purchased failed a memtest, I do recommend running memtest or AHT after installing.

nitromac

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2012
US
I got these for my 2012 MBP (they were the only ones that matched the 1.35v voltage which helps it run cooler and save battery life) and they have been working flawlessly.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226323

They're cheaper than the Corsairs, and frankly, heatsinks do nothing on laptop RAM except make it worse. The RAM slots are already crammed enough, the heatsinks only restrict airflow, resulting in hotter and less stable RAM.

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2011
I got these for my 2012 MBP (they were the only ones that matched the 1.35v voltage which helps it run cooler and save battery life) and they have been working flawlessly.

They're cheaper than the Corsairs, and frankly, heatsinks do nothing on laptop RAM except make it worse. The RAM slots are already crammed enough, the heatsinks only restrict airflow, resulting in hotter and less stable RAM.

How are they working out?
Havent heard of that brand before.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
They're really good. And the brand name isn't very popular, but they have been receiving a lot of good rep lately because of their quality products.

I've known of Mushkin for a very long time. It is a highly rated brand.

I saw the link above and will keep Mushkin in mind, should the Corsair Vengeance RAM fail the memory testing...

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009

The "heatsinks" are just stickers. I thought they were heatsinked as well.

pingfan59

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2011
Think these would work with early 2011 mbp i7 2.2ghz? Currently running the kingston hyperX 8gb at 1600mhz??

fcouto

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2012
Vengeance 16 GB w/ slot issue

May I add that got failure in memtesting my 2x8G Vengeance (MBP late 2011). After swapping slots when testing sticks alone, I could spot a connection problem of one stick with just one of the slots. Then it's running fine, ( a little hotter than w/ 4G). Poor manufacturing quality ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.