Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roadrun3r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Hello I am looking for some help merging multiple itunes libraries.

My family has 6 separate user accounts with separate iTunes libraries on the same iMac. We have used almost all of the space on the hard drive, so one of the ideas I had as to consolidate all the iTunes libraries into one folder, while still preserving each of the accounts' libraries. That way, we won't have six copies of the same song on the hard drive. I believe the best option would be to make a playlist for each account and simply choose "Sync selected playlists." I would like some advice on how to turn each library into a playlist and transfer all the songs into a central location. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

tl;dr: Merge all itunes libraries into one spot while still having the ability to sync to the music each user want.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I believe the best option would be to make a playlist for each account and simply choose "Sync selected playlists."
That should work fine.
I would like some advice on how to turn each library into a playlist and transfer all the songs into a central location.
You could put a unique name in the comment field or some other unused field for all songs in a library, to denote whose library it is. Then when the libraries are merged, you could search for that name and add all the search results to the playlist for that person.

That doesn't address the fact that when you merge the libraries, you're likely to have duplicates that need to be resolved. In short, it can be a time consuming and tedious process. To help with that process, you may want to check out Dupin from Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes, which is a great resource for managing your iTunes tags and files.

However, there are reasons why you may want to keep some duplicates. iTunes considers items duplicates if the song name and artist fields match. They may be from different albums, have different lengths or bitrates, be different file types, be live or studio versions, etc. There is no software that can make all those determinations for you. The safest method of dupe deletion is manual. With any other method, you run the risk of deleting something you didn't intend to delete.

Here are a few scripts that I've found particularly useful:

By the way, there's no need to change the size of the font in your posts. The default size works quite well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.