Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craigy2302

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Scarborough, North Yorkshire
Hi,

I have a Retina MacBook pro running 10.8.1 and have been experiencing a strange issue with it for the past couple of days. Every so often (at random times) the cursor will "lag" and when this happens the following message is repeated several times in the console.

kernel[0]: IOHIDSystem cursor update overdue. Resending.​

This happens when using both a bluetooth magic mouse and the internal trackpad, it generally happens when using programs such as Transmit and Chrome. I've checked permissions, the SSD and have repaired any issues that's found.

When it happend tonight, I checked the permissions and SSD again, and it reported no errors. I have also reset the SMC and PRAM to see if that helps.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this error and if not, could it be a bug or potentially a hardware issue (I doubt this though, as it happens with both the internal trackpad and bluetooth mouse, and its only cursor that lags).

Craig

mac65

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
Munich, Germany
Maybe it's SSD/Trim related

That kernel message is only an indication that the mouse could not update the position on-screen, i.e. that the mouse cursor was stuck. In this regard, this msg is not helpful as it only confirms that you had a stuck mouse.

I have the issue here as well. I, too, use a SSD, and I had my system appear to be dead (nothing changed on screen, as if the system had died entirely) for about half a minute. I've had this happen before a few times.

It must be something where a lot level process, probably in the kernel, is performing a long taking task, which blocks the entire system. An example would be a "driver" that does not allow any interruptions. Candidates might be the file system driver, updating on-disk structures.

Still, such operations should never take that long, unless the hardware (e.g. the disk drive) has a fault and fails to respond, so that the driver waits and waits until it decides a time out and ignore the issue (30 seconds timeouts are pretty common for such a procedure).
However, if that were the case, I'd expect to see a related error msg in the system log - but there's nothing.

Here's a few questions to anyone else having this issue:

1. Are you having a SSD installed?
2. It the SSD from a 3rd party (not Apple), i.e. did you install it yourself?
3. If it's a 3rd party SSD, did you enable Trim support on it?

In my case, I'd answer Yes to all 3. I wonder if the Trim support is having trouble with my SSD (a "INTEL SSDSA2M160G2GC", i.e. a 160 GB drive), leading to this problem.

gklka

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
Budapest, Hungary
I have the same issue with the following config: MacBook Pro (Mid 2009) with OCZ Vertex3 SSD (TRIM enabled), OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2. The bug is around since Lion, as I remember. Reboot resolves it, but it will strike again in arount 1 month :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.