Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jigzat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Hello everyone, I was thinking about buying GTA on the Appstore but I'm concerned about the speed. Is there such a big difference in performance between a native windows version and the Mac (Cyder) version?

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I wouldn't think so. I have GTA4 (I think) from the App Store and it runs fine. If you meet the requirement on the App Store page for the App you should be good to go.

jigzat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
thanks for the answers. I didn't know GTA4 was also a Cyder port, have you compare it with the Windows one?

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
thanks for the answers. I didn't know GTA4 was also a Cyder port, have you compare it with the Windows one?

I just checked and it is actually GTA3...it runs well, though. I never played it on Windows, so I can't really compare the two.

jigzat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Thank you all for your answers, I decided to purchase it through Steam since I will get for the same price a Mac and PC version. The Steam version is also a Cider port and after testing each version I found out that there are some issues with the Mac version.

My current set up is iMac 3.2 Ghz Intel Core i3 with 12GB ram running Mountain Lion, I disabled the transparent menu bar, the shadows, the 3D dock. The hard drive has been recently "defragged".

For some reason (of course emulation) there are some artifacts that I think are some frame drops. When you pan the camera the movement is not smooth and you can notice some sort of chopping. The game resolution was set to 1600x900 which from certain distance I cannot tell the difference from 1080p at least while playing. It doesn't really matter if I choose low or high effects or limit the frames per second, it doesn't even matter if I set the resolution to 720p, the overal picture looks horrible and the chopping still happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.