Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2011
Some people have reported that the Google Chrome browser has been partly to blame for battery drain. The following fix seems to have worked for a lot of people including myself.

While in Google Chrome, go into Settings -> Developer Tools -> Uncheck Enable Tilt Scrolling.

I should also add that my GS3 does not get as warm as it used to while browsing with Google Chrome. In fact it barely gets warm anymore during browsing.

Last edited:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Some people have reported that the Google Chrome browser has been partly to blame for battery drain. The following fix seems to have worked for a lot of people including myself.

While in Google Chrome, go into Settings -> Developer Tools -> Uncheck Enable Tilt Scrolling.

I should also add that my GS3 does not get as warm as it used to while browsing with Google Chrome. In fact it barely gets warm anymore during browsing.

Chrome is my main browser but I haven't been browsing a lot so I haven't noticed any battery drain or heat but I'll still give this a try thanks.

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
This works. I only know because I did the reverse. I always had that option unchecked. Then when I heard a few people having issues with battery drain from chrome, I tried the opposite of this fix just out of curiosity. And it indeed eats up battery more.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Not on my phone lol, and the formating of the stock ics one is sucky. Love how Chrome wraps basically every site correctly. But yeh I learned about the tilt trick awhile ago, it def helps.
I'll concede that. The AOSP browser is still using an old version of Webkit for some reason, that reason being Chrome.

Freida001

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2012
hello

Just a quick warning, since installing Google Chrome on my S3 I'm constantly ... I had this exact same problem with Chrome Beta, but the latest version (the first non-beta) seems to be fixed. No more wakelock issues and battery drain. ... Yep I have now uninstalled Chrome to only leave the stock browser.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Once chrome got out of beta, it appears to run pretty well, but I hate when they use card stacking for multiple websites you have open instead of tabs. my only main issue with them. I would switch back to Maxthon but having everything linked through Google makes everything so much easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.