Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smork

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
After updating to Mountain Lion 10.8.1, I'm not seeing a large difference in color profile when switching from Integrated to Discrete and back. Discrete has a bluer tint to it.

Anyone else experience anything of the sort?

----------

Apparently I'm not the only one.
A search using the right terms brought this page up:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1411736/

Anyone find a resolution to it?

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
They should be exactly the same. I have no difference. If there was anything it may take a colorimeter to show it.
But then agin your wording sounds like you want there to be a dif then you say there IS a dif. What's the deal?

Smork

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
They should be exactly the same. I have no difference. If there was anything it may take a colorimeter to show it.
But then agin your wording sounds like you want there to be a dif then you say there IS a dif. What's the deal?

Not at all. I'm using a calibrated profile for the 9CA3 display.
Changes from either Integrated to Discrete actually changes the color displayed. :(

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
I don't know, but this thread reminded me of that thread, thus I linked to that post.

Wow, Adobe RGB is ****ing blue blue blue.

Ha ha.

----------

Not at all. I'm using a calibrated profile for the 9CA3 display.
Changes from either Integrated to Discrete actually changes the color displayed. :(

How was the profile created? 3rd party? Is it LUT or matrix based? Or just created with Apple granular "Calibrate" tool?
I had a funky profile on my recently returned hi-res 2012 cMBP. I deleted the default profile in /Library/ColorSync and rebooted and a new one was created that worked as expected. Hmm.

Smork

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Ha ha.

----------

How was the profile created? 3rd party? Is it LUT or matrix based? Or just created with Apple granular "Calibrate" tool?
I had a funky profile on my recently returned hi-res 2012 cMBP. I deleted the default profile in /Library/ColorSync and rebooted and a new one was created that worked as expected. Hmm.

This actually started before using any. I re-installed 10.8 fresh and upgraded to 10.8.1 last night, now it seems to be happening and did not do this when I upgraded from 10.7.

----------

Here are two images that display the color differences:

http://cl.ly/image/3740282s0f1N

http://cl.ly/image/0k0S023y2m3t

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Is the display profile the same in Display prefs even though there is color shifts? Or does the shift choose a different profile? I'd still drag the default profile to the desktop, delete the one in the /Library folder and immediately reboot to create a fresh one. Then test again. You just made a backup so no worries.

Smork

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Is the display profile the same in Display prefs even though there is color shifts? Or does the shift choose a different profile? I'd still drag the default profile to the desktop, delete the one in the /Library folder and immediately reboot to create a fresh one. Then test again. You just made a backup so no worries.

Even going through this process did not cure it.
it's still going through this strange process of changing colors.
Even while changing the graphics card in use, the graphics profile does not change.

I can try to select different profiles for each card in use, but this does not fix the issue either.

Very strange.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Even going through this process did not cure it.
it's still going through this strange process of changing colors.
Even while changing the graphics card in use, the graphics profile does not change.

I can try to select different profiles for each card in use, but this does not fix the issue either.

Very strange.

Yeah. You got me. Hard to fix unless physically in hands to muscle through. Or very bad bug as others have reported issues. And Apple has hosed certain GPU configurations in the past and not others. Not intentionally just unfortunately.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

That is a complete mismatch to these displays. It was designed by Radius as an accompanying working RGB profile for a time when your display profile was essentially you working space. It's balanced for Gamma 1.8 D50. It isn't a common working space, and it makes no sense as a display profile, especially on modern hardware.

Who chooses color match RGB? PC head who likes blue apparently.

hehe.. you know it assumes a warmer hardware white than you'd get on any of these Apple displays. This thing is literally left over from the 1990s.

Smork

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Just for an update.

I have found what is causing it, as well as how to fix it temporarily.

The issue:
Color profile not loading properly for discrete video card.

What causes it:
Apparently, it's an issue with ML and macbook pros using an SSD.
The system loads far too quickly for ML to load the profiles for the discrete card.

Temp Fix:
Use Apple Icon in upper left > Log out as <username>.
Log back in. This will reload all of the proper drivers.
Issue is fixed until reboot.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Just for an update.

I have found what is causing it, as well as how to fix it temporarily.

The issue:
Color profile not loading properly for discrete video card.

What causes it:
Apparently, it's an issue with ML and macbook pros using an SSD.
The system loads far too quickly for ML to load the profiles for the discrete card.

Temp Fix:
Use Apple Icon in upper left > Log out as <username>.
Log back in. This will reload all of the proper drivers.
Issue is fixed until reboot.

So I guess the reason I don't encounter this issue is because I have automatic login disabled?

Smork

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
So I guess the reason I don't encounter this issue is because I have automatic login disabled?

this is very possible. I haven't tested other mechanics to reproduce or fix the issue.

cheezmo2

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
this is very possible. I haven't tested other mechanics to reproduce or fix the issue.

I just had this start happening and glad I found your solution. I recently installed a new SSD in my MacBook Pro Retina (it came with Apple's 768, replaced it with a new 1Tb) and started having color shifts when switching from integrated to discrete graphics and back. Logging out and back in solved it. I guess the new SSD is faster than Apples.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.