Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2005
UK
Is there a way to consolidate WMP files to Apple Lossless Audio Codec? I have a load of WMP on my friends computer and I've persuaded him to go apple and to make use of itunes.

1. Can I simply just put the songs into itunes and let it work its magic?

2. How does WMP compare with ALAC? If its not on par with ALAC should I just revert back to the origional CDs and convert them to ALAC? The encoding is significantly slower when ripping from CD than from HD. Going back to the origional CDs would mean a time consuming process.

What is a guy to do? hmmm :confused:

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
The sound quality of 256 kbps AAC is so close to source CD, that there is no point in going lossless unless you rip from the original source CD, imo.

In other words, if you are converting a file then AAC is plenty good. If you want the ultimate in quality, you'll need to re-rip from the source CD to Apple lossless.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
ALAC is just a higher bit rate AAC...it sounds really good, but encoding from WMP is not going to get you good results. If you want to encode to ALC, rip from the original CDs.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
I should mention that to my ears, 256 kbps AAC sounds exactly the same as the source CD. I notice a difference at 196 kbps, and at 128 kbps the difference is night and day. But at 256 I cannot tell a difference.

So I rip everything at 256 kpbs AAC and don't use Apple lossless myself.

I do have some audiophile friends that swear by Apple lossless, but only because they are afraid of loosing some quality. I have done controlled tests with them using Grado RA-1 amp and Grado RS-1 phones, and they admittedly cannot tell a difference between 256 kbps AAC and source CD, but they use lossless anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.