Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nanookfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
Hi. Does anyone use there MBP or MBAir to console into switches and routers? I'm looking for a way to do this with my MBAir instead of carrying around my much heavier Windows based laptop. Anyone know of a program for the Macs such as Putty or Hyperterm that are used with Windows? Another thought, are you able to do this directly with Terminal instead of needing a third party program?

jon8214

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
Belfast, NI
I use ZTERM to console into Cisco routers and switches, but for it to work you need a usb to serial cable that is compatable with mac. You can SSH directly into Cisco kit using Term, but the problem with that is you need to set SSH up on the switch/router first so for that reason i use the above program.

Last edited:

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage

phyrexia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
Are you referring to logging in via a physical serial connection or do you just need to Telnet and/or SSH into a box over a network?

SSH is part of OSX, and can be used to access a machine over a network, like Putty. The rest of these suggestions are for physical connections to a terminal.

Nanookfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
Are you referring to logging in via a physical serial connection or do you just need to Telnet and/or SSH into a box over a network?

SSH is part of OSX, and can be used to access a machine over a network, like Putty. The rest of these suggestions are for physical connections to a terminal.

Yes, I'm talking about physically connecting and consoling into Cisco switches with a USB to serial connection. I guess I could have been a little more specific.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.