Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Aug 25, 2012, 02:52 AM   #1
Jonny77w
macrumors newbie

Help... Youtube just stops buffering/freezing every 30 seconds!

Hey guys,

First post I know but i've searched the web for an answer and can't find one.

For the last few weeks Youtube just stops buffering after around 30 seconds and the slide bar at the bottom of the vid goes back to 0:00. The page or Mac are not frozen, it just needs a refresh to continue watching the Vid.

I'm using Safari, I have a IMAC 2.7 GHZ I5, 4GB using Lion 10.7.4
Its 16MB fibre optic, ethernet connected

I've reset Safari, emptied the cache and updated the newest version of flash! Can't really think what else to do!

Any input would be appreciated!
Jonny77w is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 04:05 AM   #2
Imaginethe
macrumors regular

You could try downloading Chrome or another browser to see whether it is Safari or not. If it is can you remove and readd Safari?

Also see whether you are in the HTML5 trial or not. If you are not maybe you could be added? http://www.youtube.com/html5

My PC used to do the same thing on DailyMotion, I would have to switch browsers. I never really found out the cause or the actual solution, it just started working again.
Imaginethe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:37 AM   #3
Srit67
macrumors newbie

same issue exactly ?

did you find a solution to this problem? I have the exact same thing happening, bloody annoying !
Srit67 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Gediminas Golce
macrumors newbie

It is not problem of Flash, Safari or Mac. I noticed, that everytime a video stops, youtube is showing "Mac keeper: is your mac getting slow?" ad. So I think, this is some kind of marketing trick, that is designed to stop loading videos ON PURPOSE, to trick users in buying "mac keeper"

Try this:
1. quit safari.
2. go to applications->utilities->terminal
3. write this string:
defaults write com.apple.Safari CustomUserAgent "\"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/534.57.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1.7 Safari/534.57.2\""
4.press enter.

this should cause safari to report youtube webserver that you are using Safari for Windows (i.e. using not OS X, but windows), so mac keeper ads should no longer appear -> no mac keeper ads, no problems with video.

It worked for me. Videos are no longer stopping, and no "mac keeper" ads are appearing.
Gediminas Golce is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:31 PM   #5
MechActor
macrumors newbie

Awesome Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gediminas Golce View Post
It is not problem of Flash, Safari or Mac. I noticed, that everytime a video stops, youtube is showing "Mac keeper: is your mac getting slow?" ad. So I think, this is some kind of marketing trick, that is designed to stop loading videos ON PURPOSE, to trick users in buying "mac keeper"

Try this:
1. quit safari.
2. go to applications->utilities->terminal
3. write this string:
defaults write com.apple.Safari CustomUserAgent "\"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/534.57.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1.7 Safari/534.57.2\""
4.press enter.

this should cause safari to report youtube webserver that you are using Safari for Windows (i.e. using not OS X, but windows), so mac keeper ads should no longer appear -> no mac keeper ads, no problems with video.

It worked for me. Videos are no longer stopping, and no "mac keeper" ads are appearing.

This worked perfect for me. Thanks Gediminas Golce! Brilliant solution!
I hope others can find this fix easily to save the hassle.
MechActor is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac