Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apb89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
Will upgrading from the beta to the release be a simple task? I ask because this is the first time I have used a iOS beta on my phone and I am kinda nervous as to how I will upgrade to the final release.

Will my iCloud backup from the beta be compatible with the release iOS? Any info is appreciated.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Will upgrading from the beta to the release be a simple task? I ask because this is the first time I have used a iOS beta on my phone and I am kinda nervous as to how I will upgrade to the final release.

Will my iCloud backup from the beta be compatible with the release iOS? Any info is appreciated.

You will be able to add the final release without any issue.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

They didnt support OTA from iOS5b to iOS5final... But they may this time... However, if not then:

1. DFU and shift restore to the GM load when released to your dev account.

2. Wait till after public, and press upgrade in iTunes.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Are you actually a developer or not?

Seriously... the witch hunt needs to stop.

The guy wasn't asking about circumventing UDID checks or anything like that at all. The guy was simply asking what the process is for his phone after iOS 6 hits public release. Even a registered developer could have these types of questions if he is a new developer, or a developer who has never loaded an OS beta to a personal device.

People who make ASSumptions generally look like an ... well you get the idea.

mpfef

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2010
He probably asked because that question is answered clearly on the developer portal.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I'm not a developer.

Just getting that out of the way, so those who care can stop reading now. :p

For the last few big iOS updates, I've installed the GM when it became available. I never switched to the "official release," because they were exactly the same as the GM. In each case, I had no trouble updating to x.01 via iTunes when they were released to the general public.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I'm not a developer.

Just getting that out of the way, so those who care can stop reading now. :p

For the last few big iOS updates, I've installed the GM when it became available. I never switched to the "official release," because they were exactly the same as the GM. In each case, I had no trouble updating to x.01 via iTunes when they were released to the general public.

Thats because by definition, GM is gold master, what is burned into flash for all the new products being made in the factory and being shipped out to the mass market... And of course they can upgrade.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Thats because by definition, GM is gold master, what is burned into flash for all the new products being made in the factory and being shipped out to the mass market... And of course they can upgrade.
I know that and you know that, but clearly the OP doesn't know that, which is why I broke it down so clearly for him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.