Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Nov 13, 2002, 05:52 PM   #1
medea
macrumors 68030

Apple released Backup 1.2.1

according to the release notes this update offers disc spanning for backing up large files that won't fit on a single disc, scanning performance improvements, combined CD and DVD modes, an updated iTunes QuickPick, iCal and Stickies QuickPicks, improved log files, support for different sizes of recordable discs, and an updated design with a brushed-metal look, Backup 1.2.1 requires Jag.
http://www.mac.com/WebObjects/Tools....1.3.27.22.26.4 or use the software updater.
Solipsist's Creed:
Zero's company, one's a crowd.
medea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 06:32 PM   #2
cubist
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to cubist
Does it still require iTools/.Mac?

I just read a review in "Macworld Magazine" (is it related to the show?) which said Backup was a toy, get Retrospect Express instead.
cubist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 06:59 PM   #3
MacBandit
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to MacBandit
Re: Does it still require iTools/.Mac?

Quote:
Originally posted by cubist
I just read a review in "Macworld Magazine" (is it related to the show?) which said Backup was a toy, get Retrospect Express instead.
Backup is free for all who have OSX and is a native program. With these new feature updates I believe that Backup is a great tool should be nearly as good or every bit as good as Retrospect Express.
MacBandit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 08:17 PM   #4
dricci
macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: Does it still require iTools/.Mac?

Quote:
Originally posted by MacBandit

Backup is free for all who have OSX and is a native program. With these new feature updates I believe that Backup is a great tool should be nearly as good or every bit as good as Retrospect Express.
Backup is only free to .Mac users, but I think it's worth $100 a year to use. After 1.2 came out and they worked out the .mac server issues, Backup has been great. Hasn't failed in the few weeks I've been using it, early every morning I have it set to backup my Quicken data, mail files, bookmarks, and some documents/websites I work on.

I don't care what Macworld says (I don't really like the magazines, most are always 3 months out of date because they write their articles so far in advance.) Backup is well worth the .Mac fee, and works great for me. However, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone on Dialup. An always on broadband connection is recommended.
dricci is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 08:24 PM   #5
MacBandit
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to MacBandit
Re: Re: Re: Does it still require iTools/.Mac?

Quote:
Originally posted by dricci

Backup is only free to .Mac users, but I think it's worth $100 a year to use. After 1.2 came out and they worked out the .mac server issues, Backup has been great. Hasn't failed in the few weeks I've been using it, early every morning I have it set to backup my Quicken data, mail files, bookmarks, and some documents/websites I work on.

I don't care what Macworld says (I don't really like the magazines, most are always 3 months out of date because they write their articles so far in advance.) Backup is well worth the .Mac fee, and works great for me. However, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone on Dialup. An always on broadband connection is recommended.
Actually I believe Backup is free to anyone with MacOSX. I downloaded it before I purchased my .Mac account from Apple. Also before I signed up for the free trial.

About the speed you are purely referring to the ability to backup to your .Mac space. I think this is almost useless. 100MB is hardly enough for most things and who would pay there prices for space when you can get it much cheaper elsewhere. The real beauty of Backup is in having Apple branded program that will allow everyone who got a CDR or DVD-R with there mac to use it for backing up there data.

[edit] I was wrong you at least have to have a preview account to download Backup. Though once you have it you don't need .Mac to use it to backup to CDs or DVDs. [/edit]

Last edited by MacBandit; Nov 13, 2002 at 09:07 PM.
MacBandit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2002, 11:02 PM   #6
zimv20
macrumors 601

for me, the real value of Backup is being able to backup my most important stuff (about 25 meg) off-site.

i don't think it and Retrospect compete in the same space. i use (the free and not-too-shabby) SilverKeeper to backup my entire homedir to a local firewire drive.
zimv20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events