Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 13, 2002, 05:52 PM   #1
medea
macrumors 68030
 
medea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Madison, Wi
Apple released Backup 1.2.1

according to the release notes this update offers disc spanning for backing up large files that won't fit on a single disc, scanning performance improvements, combined CD and DVD modes, an updated iTunes QuickPick, iCal and Stickies QuickPicks, improved log files, support for different sizes of recordable discs, and an updated design with a brushed-metal look, Backup 1.2.1 requires Jag.
http://www.mac.com/WebObjects/Tools....1.3.27.22.26.4 or use the software updater.
__________________
Winner Of The '04 Animated Avatar Contest
Misanthrope's Creed:
One's company, two's a crowd.
Solipsist's Creed:
Zero's company, one's a crowd.
medea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 06:32 PM   #2
cubist
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Muncie, Indiana
Send a message via AIM to cubist
Does it still require iTools/.Mac?

I just read a review in "Macworld Magazine" (is it related to the show?) which said Backup was a toy, get Retrospect Express instead.
cubist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 06:59 PM   #3
MacBandit
macrumors 604
 
MacBandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
Send a message via AIM to MacBandit
Re: Does it still require iTools/.Mac?

Quote:
Originally posted by cubist
I just read a review in "Macworld Magazine" (is it related to the show?) which said Backup was a toy, get Retrospect Express instead.
Backup is free for all who have OSX and is a native program. With these new feature updates I believe that Backup is a great tool should be nearly as good or every bit as good as Retrospect Express.
__________________
Folding@Home
"Folding FAQ," for more information.
Fold with your PS3. Message me on the Playstation Network ID 'MacBandit'
MacBandit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 08:17 PM   #4
dricci
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Re: Re: Does it still require iTools/.Mac?

Quote:
Originally posted by MacBandit


Backup is free for all who have OSX and is a native program. With these new feature updates I believe that Backup is a great tool should be nearly as good or every bit as good as Retrospect Express.
Backup is only free to .Mac users, but I think it's worth $100 a year to use. After 1.2 came out and they worked out the .mac server issues, Backup has been great. Hasn't failed in the few weeks I've been using it, early every morning I have it set to backup my Quicken data, mail files, bookmarks, and some documents/websites I work on.

I don't care what Macworld says (I don't really like the magazines, most are always 3 months out of date because they write their articles so far in advance.) Backup is well worth the .Mac fee, and works great for me. However, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone on Dialup. An always on broadband connection is recommended.
dricci is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 08:24 PM   #5
MacBandit
macrumors 604
 
MacBandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
Send a message via AIM to MacBandit
Re: Re: Re: Does it still require iTools/.Mac?

Quote:
Originally posted by dricci


Backup is only free to .Mac users, but I think it's worth $100 a year to use. After 1.2 came out and they worked out the .mac server issues, Backup has been great. Hasn't failed in the few weeks I've been using it, early every morning I have it set to backup my Quicken data, mail files, bookmarks, and some documents/websites I work on.

I don't care what Macworld says (I don't really like the magazines, most are always 3 months out of date because they write their articles so far in advance.) Backup is well worth the .Mac fee, and works great for me. However, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone on Dialup. An always on broadband connection is recommended.
Actually I believe Backup is free to anyone with MacOSX. I downloaded it before I purchased my .Mac account from Apple. Also before I signed up for the free trial.

About the speed you are purely referring to the ability to backup to your .Mac space. I think this is almost useless. 100MB is hardly enough for most things and who would pay there prices for space when you can get it much cheaper elsewhere. The real beauty of Backup is in having Apple branded program that will allow everyone who got a CDR or DVD-R with there mac to use it for backing up there data.

[edit] I was wrong you at least have to have a preview account to download Backup. Though once you have it you don't need .Mac to use it to backup to CDs or DVDs. [/edit]
__________________
Folding@Home
"Folding FAQ," for more information.
Fold with your PS3. Message me on the Playstation Network ID 'MacBandit'

Last edited by MacBandit; Nov 13, 2002 at 09:07 PM.
MacBandit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2002, 11:02 PM   #6
zimv20
macrumors 601
 
zimv20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: chicago
for me, the real value of Backup is being able to backup my most important stuff (about 25 meg) off-site.

i don't think it and Retrospect compete in the same space. i use (the free and not-too-shabby) SilverKeeper to backup my entire homedir to a local firewire drive.
zimv20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DESPERATE! Jailbroke iPhone 3GS 4.2.1 broadband 06.15.00 SteffiT Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 37 Jan 4, 2012 08:27 PM
1.5tb internal drive for macbook pro euphrus MacBook Pro 17 Apr 23, 2011 02:46 AM
Apple Releases Xsan 2.2.1, Mail Services Updates MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 1 Dec 24, 2009 01:44 PM
Apple Releases Front Row 2.1.2 MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 33 Jan 24, 2008 01:53 AM
Apple Releases Backup 3.1.1 MacBytes MacBytes.com News Discussion 6 Mar 3, 2007 06:35 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC