Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GKDAIR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
I don't need a fancy blu tooth keyboard or anything, just looking for something to protect my new ipad.

I've been thinking about the Smart Case, but it doesn't feel like it would be enough protection and I hear mixed feelings on it.

ziffos

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2009
East Coast of UK
I don't need a fancy blu tooth keyboard or anything, just looking for something to protect my new ipad.

I've been thinking about the Smart Case, but it doesn't feel like it would be enough protection and I hear mixed feelings on it.

IMO - Get a Smart COVER (not case) then buy a low priced silicon back.
Both the items together work superbly well and give great protection for the iPad whilst at the same time keeping the slimness and appearance of your "lovely new iPad"

P.S. This is also one of the "cheapest" options!

Works for me (did it on my iPad 1, iPad2 and now my 3) :p

Last edited:

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
IMO - Get a Smart COVER (not case) then buy a low priced silicone back.
Both the items together work superbly well and give great protection for the iPad whilst at the same time keeping the slimness and appearance of your "lovely new iPad"

That's my combo too! Tried to go with a folio type when I got my iPad 3 but found it too bulky.

martosprint

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
Here is a lightweight cover I bought when the 3 came out and I am very satisfied with it. You can probably shop around for a cheaper price.

STM Skinny 3 Case for iPad 3rd Generation

svbeige

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2013
Here is a lightweight cover I bought when the 3 came out and I am very satisfied with it. You can probably shop around for a cheaper price.

STM Skinny 3 Case for iPad 3rd Generation

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but how do you like the STM Skinny 3 case thus far?

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I use the Switcheasy CoverBuddy on my iPad mini. They also make an iPad 3/4 sized version. Great case, relatively cheap price. It works in compliment to a Smart Cover. Smart Cases are great but don't expect it to protect the iPad from drops. Then again, any silicon or hard case won't protect that much from drops. If you want all-around protection, look at Otterbox. If you don't want scratches from moving around on a table or sliding it in your bag and stuff, then silicon and hard cases are good.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
I do a lot of travel so I wanted something a bit beefier and chose the Incase Book Jacket Select. It has stood the test of time.

Excellent for landscape, not so much for portrait.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
How about this? Looks just like a smart cover, with some back protection. Got something similar for my Mini and it looks real minimal, sleek.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
IMO - Get a Smart COVER (not case) then buy a low priced silicon back.

I agree with this. Tpu or hard (rubberized like a think pad) is my preference for back cover.

You can t beat the thinness and I love that it wakes the screen and acts as a stand.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I like Apple Smart Case it feels like "rubber" and it is easy to hold iPad with my bare hands. I don't like Smart Cover because it has magnetic aluminum hinge would scratch iPad back case. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.