Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:15 AM   #1
LOLZpersonok
macrumors 6502a

What is the most powerful graphics adapter that can be used in a PowerMac G4 MDD?

I know I've been posting a lot of threads recently, but I think it's a good idea to have separate topics in different threads, because other people would have a better time finding these threads in case they need to use the thread themselves.

I am aware that the PowerMac G4 MDD usually comes with a 64MB or 128MB graphics adapter in it.

My question is, what is the most Video Memory the machine can handle? In case my main computer does die, which it is, I was figuring I might be able to take my main computer's graphics card and put it in my PowerMac G4. That graphics card has 1.5GB of Video Memory. It is an ATI graphics card, and I'm pretty sure the PowerMac uses ATI graphics.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:21 AM   #2
Orange Furball
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Orange Furball
Use the search page to look up other topics on this. It has already been discussed numerous times.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:22 AM   #3
Intell
macrumors P6

Your PowerMac has a AGP 4x slot. No AGP card has 1.5GB of video ram. G4 PowerMacs can only see 256MB of video ram. Even if the card has 512MB. This is a limitation of all G4 Macs. The fastest card would be a flashed PC card. Some of the faster ones include the ATI X800. These sell for about $100 on eBay. There are two flashed X800 cards. The FireGL3 and the standard PC one. The FireGL3 has two DVI-I ports that can be used with a VGA adapter to output VGA. The standard PC has one VGA and one DVI-I port. The DVI-I port on the standard PC one does not work. Thus, if you want a flashed ATI X800 with working DVI-I ports, get a flashed FireGL3.

There are of course other cards, maybe some more powerful than the X800. Before going out and buying one, see what others post. Video cards are not my greatest strength.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:00 AM   #4
LOLZpersonok
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
Your PowerMac has a AGP 4x slot. No AGP card has 1.5GB of video ram. G4 PowerMacs can only see 256MB of video ram. Even if the card has 512MB. This is a limitation of all G4 Macs. The fastest card would be a flashed PC card. Some of the faster ones include the ATI X800. These sell for about $100 on eBay. There are two flashed X800 cards. The FireGL3 and the standard PC one. The FireGL3 has two DVI-I ports that can be used with a VGA adapter to output VGA. The standard PC has one VGA and one DVI-I port. The DVI-I port on the standard PC one does not work. Thus, if you want a flashed ATI X800 with working DVI-I ports, get a flashed FireGL3.

There are of course other cards, maybe some more powerful than the X800. Before going out and buying one, see what others post. Video cards are not my greatest strength.
Cool, thanks. You didn't have to be good at video cards, I got the information I needed. Thanks!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Furball View Post
Use the search page to look up other topics on this. It has already been discussed numerous times.
I will consider this next time (If I remember), thanks.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:07 AM   #5
Jethryn Freyman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post

I've got a PC FireGL X3 flashed with Radeon X800 ROM, it's an awesome card. Two displays connected with DVI at 2048x1152 resolution, butter smooth. Overclocks well.

Check out my thread here:
http://att.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1348675

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs