Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Di}{iE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2002
I haven't heard any recent video card rumors! Where's the Geforce 5? I'm using a Geforce 4MX right now and it really isnt cutting it for me. I can't believe the Geforce 4 Ti is still $400 bucks! Its almost half that for the PeeCee!!! Is there anywhere that I could get it cheaper than from Apple?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by MacCoaster
BTW, NV30 == GeForce "5".

Yes and no. NV30 is the next generation nVidia chip... however its my understanding it is NOT going to be called "GeForce 5"

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Chaszmyr

Yes and no. NV30 is the next generation nVidia chip... however its my understanding it is NOT going to be called "GeForce 5"

You are probably correct I've been reading that the NV30 will most likely be called the GeForce Ti4800 with the NV35 being the next generation GeForce 5/

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
Northeast U.S.
geforce fx

This new card is going to cost $300 and $400 to start with. But they'll make other versions that are underclocked, less mem, or some other way 'crippled'. now when i say crippled, i'm talking less than the top $300 or $400 card. no matter what they do to this card so it only costs $100 to $200, itll absolutely destroy any competition. This card can do in 1 pass what a geforce4 Ti600 does in 8 passes, and it does it better. nothin like this has been available on the desktop before. Comdex has me so excited!!!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by MacCoaster
Bringing this thread back to life.

The GeForce "5" is indeed called GeForce. It's GeForce FX.

http://www.hothardware.com/reviews/images/geforce_fx_pr/card_front2.htm

Sonova... that mofo is HUGE.

http://www.hothardware.com/reviews/images/geforce_fx_pr/nakedboard.htm

The naked board. This is sweet. :) :D
Holy s***. That card takes up two slots. thats crazy. if this keeps up motherboard companys will have to change the atx form factor or people are gonna have to start picking a card to take out of there computer.

iJon

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Re: geforce fx

Originally posted by Bradcoe
This new card is going to cost $300 and $400 to start with. But they'll make other versions that are underclocked, less mem, or some other way 'crippled'. now when i say crippled, i'm talking less than the top $300 or $400 card. no matter what they do to this card so it only costs $100 to $200, itll absolutely destroy any competition. This card can do in 1 pass what a geforce4 Ti600 does in 8 passes, and it does it better. nothin like this has been available on the desktop before. Comdex has me so excited!!!

Be excited all you want. The cards aren't coming out until Feb 2003. Shorty after that ATI will introduce the 9700 successor. Id love to see how this Geforce FX stacks up to the current ATI 9700. I bet it will be just slightly faster if that. So whatever ATI has coming out next is going to blow away Nvidia. Check out Tom's Hardware's extensive look at the ATI 9700 vs. Nvidia Geforce4 Ti comparison. ATI makes Nvidia look silly.

Tyler

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
Re: When are new Nvidia Cards comming out?

Originally posted by Di}{iE
I can't believe the Geforce 4 Ti is still $400 bucks! Its almost half that for the PeeCee!!!
what's the answer to this problem? are the cards for mac vs. pc really so different as to warrant a $100+ price difference, or are we just being gouged? i thought that the gforce4ti debuted with the QS powermacs, why do we get the shaft in terms of pricing?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: When are new Nvidia Cards comming out?

Originally posted by FattyMembrane

what's the answer to this problem? are the cards for mac vs. pc really so different as to warrant a $100+ price difference, or are we just being gouged? i thought that the gforce4ti debuted with the QS powermacs, why do we get the shaft in terms of pricing?

We get shafted because of the lack of competition.

A) G4Ti is the fastest currently for the Mac no ATI9700 to compete against.

B) NVidia is the only manufacturor of the G4Ti for the mac no 3rd party companies.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
nVidia has an agreement with apple. actually, nVidia has an agreement with AMD, MS, Apple, and anybody else who wants one.

Therefore if apple wont put an nVidia crushing card as an option for macs, why make it at all???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.