Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 18, 2015, 09:30 PM   #1
rammer549
macrumors newbie

Should login keychain be locked when sleeping?

In keychain access>edit>edit login keychain settings, there is an option to lock the login keychain when sleeping or idle for x-minutes. For security reasons should this be setup to lock the keychain when sleeping? I have tried it and keep getting all kinds of prompts to unlock my keychain after waking from sleep even though it is already unlocked. It seems to really mess up the system somehow...mainly icloud and imessages.

Thank you for the feedback.
rammer549 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2015, 06:26 AM   #2
Negritude
macrumors 6502

It's all up to you. If you're paranoid, as I am, then set it to lock after a specified period. If not, then don't. It's not a requirement. People who find themselves bothered by the prompts that tighter security requires are better off not bothering.
Negritude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2015, 07:39 AM   #3
rammer549
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negritude View Post
It's all up to you. If you're paranoid, as I am, then set it to lock after a specified period. If not, then don't. It's not a requirement. People who find themselves bothered by the prompts that tighter security requires are better off not bothering.
I've set it to lock when sleeping...but after waking and logging in it keeps prompting for keychain password, even though the keychain is already unlocked? What is going on with this?
rammer549 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2015, 08:48 AM   #4
Negritude
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammer549 View Post
I've set it to lock when sleeping...but after waking and logging in it keeps prompting for keychain password, even though the keychain is already unlocked? What is going on with this?
Anything that uses the keychain for various reasons will have to re-authorize access after sleep. The initial unlock only applies to the machine/display. Apple has changed things a bit with newer versions of OS X, such that if you ever lock the keychain, there will be more prompts for access from different processes.
Negritude is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Tags
keychain