Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 18, 2015, 01:52 PM   #1
VI™
macrumors 6502a

Trojan/Malware removal

Are there any apps that are a good utility for cleaning up trojans, malware, adware, or browser hijacks? I've come across two clients with Apple computers that have had what appear to be browser hijacks that cause pop ups all over the place when they open whatever browser they were using and I'm looking for an easier way to get rid or it rather than researching each individual case.

With Windows machines, we have several programs we run in a sequence that generally cleans everything up unless it's a serious infection.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 02:42 PM   #2
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

There isn't much out there because malware is still so limited on the Mac. I use AdwareMedic. Unfortunately all the quick removal tools require 10.7 or later.

Also be sure to remove any suspicious extensions or add-ons from their browsers. I also install Ablock Plus add-on to their browsers along with the malware and spam lists.
velocityg4 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2015, 02:56 PM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by VI™ View Post
Are there any apps that are a good utility for cleaning up trojans, malware, adware, or browser hijacks? I've come across two clients with Apple computers that have had what appear to be browser hijacks that cause pop ups all over the place when they open whatever browser they were using and I'm looking for an easier way to get rid or it rather than researching each individual case.
ClamXAV scans for Windows and OS X malware, although the latter is fairly rare. Your symptoms point to adware, not Trojans or other malware.

Adware can be removed by using this tool: AdwareMedic
Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac

For redirects, try changing the DNS servers on Macs and routers to OpenDNS servers. This will show you how: Why am I being redirected to other sites?
GGJstudios is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2015, 03:00 PM   #4
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
ClamXAV scans for Windows and OS X malware, although the latter is fairly rare.

Adware can be removed by using this tool: AdwareMedic
Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac

For redirects, try changing the DNS servers on Macs and routers to OpenDNS servers. This will show you how: Why am I being redirected to other sites?
I use both of those just in case. I have yet to find anything weird on my Mac But then again, I'm a careful user
Old Feb 18, 2015, 03:22 PM   #5
VI™
macrumors 6502a

I like to build a hackintosh with a spare computer laying around to see if I can infect it. I see a lot of the stuff out there that affects OS X has to do with changing the host file.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 09:41 PM   #6
NDPTAL85
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VI™ View Post

With Windows machines, we have several programs we run in a sequence that generally cleans everything up unless it's a serious infection.
Avira Antivirus is excellent and free on both Macs and PCs. Make sure you do a full system scan with it and not just a quick scan.
NDPTAL85 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store