Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Is this possible? Essentially I was thinking of getting a time capsule, plus an external 2.5 portable drive ( so no power needed, unlike 3.5" ). This would then allow me to keep all my backups on time capsule, while only being limited by the size of the external USB drive for my music and movie storage?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Sure, that will work fine. Just follow this and point to the external drive instead of the Time Capsule drive in the instructions.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Sure, that will work fine. Just follow this and point to the external drive instead of the Time Capsule drive in the instructions.

Thanks, just what I was looking for. Only question I have though is he mentions about having the macbook hardwired, I do not want to do this. Will it hurt performance that much running the entire set up wirelessly?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks, just what I was looking for. Only question I have though is he mentions about having the macbook hardwired, I do not want to do this. Will it hurt performance that much running the entire set up wirelessly?

If you have a good 802.1n router with a strong wi-fi signal and decent wi-fi speeds in the house, you will be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.