Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
Family just got the Blu-ray version of Hunger Games and I thought I would download a digital copy. In the past I've just used the iTunes option but the packaging heavily promoted Ultraviolet, which I was not familiar with. But in the interest of new technology experiences, I thought I would take one for the team and signup and tryout the Ultraviolet versions.

Seems I can download and stream to most any mobile device or watch SD via an internet browser. Plus I can share with up to 5 family members, which is not bad either.

Anyone else using UV in a mostly Apple environment?

kemperman

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
UK
Ultraviolet is, IMHO, a massive waste of time in the apple environment.

You can't play it natively on any iOS device, you have to download a crappy app.

As far as I'm concerned UV I just a way to placate the film industry and their piracy woes, it is no real help to anyone. It's a horrible mess and the website was so clunky I ended up ripping the DVD version of the film I was trying to download (ironic huh). I gave up after about ten attempts to get to the screen that would give me the option to download it. I have fibre optic broadband so it wasn't my internet connection that was the problem!

If you have an appltv btw forget it as you won't be able to watch it through that either. /rant

Just download the iTunes version and you can have it on all your devices any time you want

BladesOfSteel

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2009
St. Paul
I agree with the poster above . . . If you're going to go with UV in an apple environment, it is going to be pretty annoying to get all the apps and accounts all set up.

If I'm not mistaken, some UV movies are available on the Flixter app while others are not.

Since the Hunger Games allows you to download the HD iTunes version, I'd stick with that.

Also - I've read online that the code with the blu-ray works once for UV and once for iTunes, so, I believe, you could redeem your code again in iTunes.

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
Hmmm, I'm an Apple fanboy too, which is why I hang in this neighborhood, but don't you think at least trying the competition first is better than declaring it inferior in the absence of collecting data??

So thus far, it is a bit of a pain to sign up for Ultraviolet and log in because you need to create two different accounts for mobile viewing. An Ultraviolet account and then a Flixster account to view it via the Flixter app. Two separate signups. Also, there is a third site you have to go to and that is the thehungergames.com site to enter more info as you type in the redeem code. I suspect this gives the movie studio your email etc. your individual info. A bit of a pain really.

But streaming once it is set up seems to be working well. Checked out the movie on my iPhone using Flixster and for a test run no problems. I'll try the full thing later.

Pardon me if I'm wrong but is there a way to stream and not download your iTunes purchases to your mobile device? I'm not sure how to do this if you can.

More to follow:)

----------

Blades of Steel: Affirmative!! Tried what you suggested and the iTunes version is now downloading. Seems you don't have to make a choice because you can have both! Can't complain about that!!

I'll still try the UV later to give it a spin.

Pretty sweet!:)

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I think UV has a lot of potential (due to wide support by the movie studios and not being limited to any particular device ecosystem), but is still somewhat immature. The usability is getting better over time though, and soon the UV Common File Format for dowloading will be finalized. Streaming already works great thanks to Vudu.

You can use both the UV and iTunes digital copies from the Hunger Games disc BTW, so no need to choose in this case. ;)

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
The Hunger Games was the first Bluray movie that supported HD and SD copies at the same time. You just wasted a 1080p iTunes download.

BladesOfSteel

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2009
St. Paul
The Hunger Games was the first Bluray movie that supported HD and SD copies at the same time. You just wasted a 1080p iTunes download.

Not sure exactly what you mean. It's been established that for Hunger Games the one code allows for a UV AND iTunes download.

And, for the record, Jaws came out on Blu-ray before HG and that blu-ray also comes with one code that allows a UV and iTunes (in HD) download.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Keep in mind that the UV digital copy has an expiration date. Also, you will be creating accounts with Flixter, UV, and all of the participating studios as you buy movies and use UV.

inspirations365

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2008
I think UV has a lot of potential (due to wide support by the movie studios and not being limited to any particular device ecosystem), but is still somewhat immature. The usability is getting better over time though, and soon the UV Common File Format for dowloading will be finalized. Streaming already works great thanks to Vudu.

You can use both the UV and iTunes digital copies from the Hunger Games disc BTW, so no need to choose in this case. ;)

I got screwed buying a combo pack that had UltraViolet only once because I was ignorant to exactly what was involved. I think it was Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I don't understand why they make it so cumbersome when compared to iTunes and then say it's the same. The movie is the same, sure. But the execution? ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE WORSE. And as others have pointed out, this is especially apparent when you live in an iHome.

TLDR: Using UltraViolet? May the odds be ever in your favor.

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
It might not be for everyone, but I actually like Ultraviolet. I actually signed up for a Vudu account which you can use natively using the Safari app by going to http://www.vudu.com. All of your "mobile optimized" purchases will show up as available to stream. Recently they have teamed with Ultraviolet, so any purchases you make there will show up on Vudu. For instance I authenticated my copy of HP7 part 2 with Flixster/Ultraviolet and it still showed up in Vudu.

So for instance with the Hunger Games, I first authenticated with iTunes and got my copy there. Then I used the instructions (and the same digital code as it turned out) for Ultraviolet and I have a copy sitting out on Vudu. Now I don't have to sync a copy to my iPad. As long as I have a data connection I can now stream my purchase from http://www.vudu.com and save space.

Also, in addition to the iTunes copy, I can now stream it on any browser on any computer and also to my PS3 if anything happened to my disc.

Just my 2 cents, but I like that I have so many different options.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Keep in mind that the UV digital copy has an expiration date.
No, it does not. There may be a limited time for redeeming the code that comes with a disc, but this is also true for most iTunes digital copies.
Also, you will be creating accounts with Flixter, UV, and all of the participating studios as you buy movies and use UV.
Yes. This allows a variety of competing download stores and delivery services as opposed to one company holding a monopoly. Still, due to the central UV "movie locker", there is no fragmentation. That's why it is possible e.g. to stream all your UV movies through Vudu, regardless of where you acquired them. The concept is really quite elegant. They just need to streamline the sign-up and linking processes to make it easier to use.

----------

Not sure exactly what you mean. It's been established that for Hunger Games the one code allows for a UV AND iTunes download.

And, for the record, Jaws came out on Blu-ray before HG and that blu-ray also comes with one code that allows a UV and iTunes (in HD) download.
Yep. And before that there was True Blood season 4, which comes with codes for iTunes, UV or Amazon Instant Video, in HD. ;)

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
No, it does not. There may be a limited time for redeeming the code that comes with a disc, but this is also true for most iTunes digital copies.

i have read this in nearly every article that covered the format, including here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392335,00.asp

Sure, the license is yours forever, but after a certain amount of time has elapsed, which can vary by movie, they begin to charge you to view it.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
i have read this in nearly every article that covered the format, including here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392335,00.asp

Sure, the license is yours forever, but after a certain amount of time has elapsed, which can vary by movie, they begin to charge you to view it.
UV supporting services are allowed to charge a fee for repeated downloading or streaming after one year. It does not mean they actually will (nor can we be sure that Apple won't some day decide to charge a fee for repeated downloading, like they do today for iTunes Match). Neither Vudu nor Flixster charge a fee, BTW.

Also, if you download a copy, you will never be charged to view that.

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008

Thats weird because I tried to use it for both and it says code has already been used for the UV.

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
Thats weird because I tried to use it for both and it says code has already been used for the UV.

In my experience I always do the iTunes download first. Then any other one they promote. Then I was able to get both downloads with one code.

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
For what it is worth, I redeemed the UV code first, then the iTunes version with no problems. Still have not streamed the movie via UV yet, so I can't comment on the quality. But I did check that I could access it via Vudu on my PS3 as well.

I wouldn't call UV elegant, but it does seem to be a reasonable streaming option, which is nice. I can't do that with iTunes yet, although i hope that will change with iOS6.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
For what it is worth, I redeemed the UV code first, then the iTunes version with no problems. Still have not streamed the movie via UV yet, so I can't comment on the quality.
The quality depends on the service you are using to stream. For Vudu, you get their "HDX" quality level for HD UV digital copies, which is arguably one of the best available today (provided your Internet access has the necessary bandwidth).

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
Does UV demand that you live in the same country as the disk was purchased in?

I've found the iTunes digital copy to be a total rip-off because I live in Switzerland (and my apple account is tied to the Swiss iTMS), but I buy disks from the UK (English language packaging, init?)

The Swiss store won't allow me to download because I'm in a different contry (yet the same continent, with the same regional encoding). :mad:

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
Truffy: sorry I'm only in the US of A so I'm not sure how different countries or regions are dealt with.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Just rip it - I've bought a few films that came with the digital copy and while they play fine on the Apple devices, they can't play anywhere else due to the DRM. Also, they don't let us have the HD versions in NZ even if we buy the Blu-ray so I simply rip the BD to a 720p rip which is good enough for my mobile uses. Takes a little longer than a download but the result is free of DRM so it wins against iTunes purchases and UV plus I control the bit rate of the encode.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I tried out the steaming turd that is UV when it was the method of digital copy for the last Harry Potter movie. So two new accounts later, I really hate it.

It's a half-baked idea for the studios to keep more control of their stuff. They're scared of Apple because it has done such a good job of delivering audio and video content. With iTunes/iCloud now, you can download your purchased music, movies and TV shows at any time. It's not really streaming, but in the case of the Hunger Games video I bought from iTunes -- I *did not* know the BD came with an HD digital copy from iTunes -- I have access to it anywhere I can get WiFi. I can play it using AirPlay, or if I buy an HDMI cable and adapter, I can put it on any HDTV. About the only down side is I can't let people borrow it without letting them borrow my phone or iPad.

In the future, don't waste your time with UV if you like the Apple ecosystem.

kemperman

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
UK
Does UV demand that you live in the same country as the disk was purchased in?

I've found the iTunes digital copy to be a total rip-off because I live in Switzerland (and my apple account is tied to the Swiss iTMS), but I buy disks from the UK (English language packaging, init?)

The Swiss store won't allow me to download because I'm in a different contry (yet the same continent, with the same regional encoding). :mad:

You can create an iTunes account for any country by changing to that country's store, 'purchasing' a free app and entering your details. You could even use an apple store for your address (if you don't know one in that country), as you aren't actually buying anything. I had an old code for 'blue harvest' that would only work in the US store so I just made up an address and hey presto it downloaded.

Then you can download all those digital copies you have on that account, at the end of the day, you paid for them so I don't see there's anything wrong. It may not be the most elegant way of doing it but hey it works!

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
About the only down side is I can't let people borrow it without letting them borrow my phone or iPad.

That's the downside to iTunes/digital purchases.
we can't easily take and watch in the car or over at Nana & PopPop's (though they have DSL-slow-and a Mac Mini) and not at the other PopPop's house where he doesn't even have a computer.

I do like the digital copies with the Blurays though. then you have several options. great blus to play at home, dvd to take almost anywhere and watch, and digital copies to play without getting off the couch to insert the disc.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
That's the downside to iTunes/digital purchases.
we can't easily take and watch in the car or over at Nana & PopPop's (though they have DSL-slow-and a Mac Mini) and not at the other PopPop's house where he doesn't even have a computer.

I do like the digital copies with the Blurays though. then you have several options. great blus to play at home, dvd to take almost anywhere and watch, and digital copies to play without getting off the couch to insert the disc.

That's why I have only bought about three or four things digitally. I don't have to worry about the kids for the most part. I hope Apple finds a decent way to allow loaning of videos, but I have been hoping for a decent way to loan Kindle books as well. Amazon does have a method, but it's hidden and the publisher has to agree.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.