Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

da2005pizimp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Gilbert, AZ
Hello, I am looking to put a iMac in a spare room that would only be used for some of my classes, I would use microsoft office, web browsing, itunes, and I would need it to be able to run mcgraw-hill connect ( http://connect.mcgraw-hill.com/connectweb/branding/en_US/default/html/support.html ) that is the system requirements. Since this would be in a spare room and may or may not get much attention, so I do not want to spend a lot of money on it. I was looking on ebay and came across several iMac G5 intel core duos and was wondering if anyone thought this would be a wise purchase? I currently have a windows PC that does most of the work in my house, but I would like to transition everyone in the house to Apple and was hoping this could help. any advise would be greatly appreciated.

model that I was looking at specifically was: MA199 for about $270 shipped

Tobias Funke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2012
iMac G5 intel core duos

?? :confused: :D

I have a G5 iMac and it is still good for basic stuff,
(Internet, Word, iTunes)

but its a dinosaur compared to my MBP. :D

Also this past year or so there is less and less stuff being updated/supported for it. :(

Firefox and flash being the main ones I use.

tomwvr

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Frederick Maryland
if you live near a Micro Center - they have these on sale - can get an extended warrenty from them . I almost purchased one the other day...

Apple iMac MA710LL/A Desktop Computer Pre-Owned
SKU: 348516
9 new in stock $399.99

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
First off, you are not going to find and iMac that is both "G5" and "Intel Core Duo". The computer you reference MA199B/A certainly fits the bill as an older iMac. It has a Core Duo processor (not a Core Duo Two), and specs out fairly low relative to current iMacs. It may just be able to run the McGraw Hill software you referenced, since you can upgrade to a maximum OS of 10.6.8.

Your quoted price is not too bad. However, if this is your first foray in Mac's you may want to consider something a little more beefier.

tomwvr

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Frederick Maryland
I am very happy with Micro Center - just got my wife a 15 inch mac book pro late 2011 model brand new in the box original price 2199 for 1299.

It is the 3rd Mac I have purchased from them - always good prices and it is a great place to get new Macs that have become "outdated" when a new model comes out for great prices.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Hello, I am looking to put a iMac in a spare room that would only be used for some of my classes, I would use microsoft office, web browsing, itunes, and I would need it to be able to run mcgraw-hill connect ( http://connect.mcgraw-hill.com/connectweb/branding/en_US/default/html/support.html ) that is the system requirements. Since this would be in a spare room and may or may not get much attention, so I do not want to spend a lot of money on it. I was looking on ebay and came across several iMac G5 intel core duos and was wondering if anyone thought this would be a wise purchase? I currently have a windows PC that does most of the work in my house, but I would like to transition everyone in the house to Apple and was hoping this could help. any advise would be greatly appreciated.

model that I was looking at specifically was: MA199 for about $270 shipped

That's a good deal with the included shipping.

It should do basic tasks like you have stated.

This company could just be someone working out of their home so be careful.

I would use Paypal in case there is a problem.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Something to be aware of before you buy ANY "white" Intel iMac:

OS 10.7 "Lion" is the -final- OS you can run on these machines.

They cannot run OS 10.8 "Mountain Lion" (I believe due to limitations of the boot EFI).

It has been possible to hack some MacPro's and MacBooks to run ML, but I've yet to see anyone post a successful hack to get ML to run on a white Intel iMac...

Also, a six-year-old iMac may be reaching the point where it has internal failures, and they're not easy to "get into"...

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
At best, get an aluminum iMac. Don't bother with the white ones as they are 'done' with getting any regular updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.