Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Feb 6, 2011, 06:54 PM   #1
zalves
macrumors member

Civilization V on Macbook Pro

Hi

I have a MBP with the 9400 and the 9600, when I try to run Civ V using the 9600 the game automatically crashes... and with the 9400 is just too slow to play. My mac has 4GB ram and a 2.4 core 2 duo CPU. Is there anything I can do?
zalves is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 07:55 PM   #2
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Try this:

Delete com.aspyr.Civ5.plist from your Preferences folder. If that doesn't work try removing the entry that says GameDisplayID in that file.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 05:47 AM   #3
zalves
macrumors member

thank you! now it works perfectly
zalves is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:06 PM   #4
Adventureinlife
macrumors newbie

Civilization V on my mac...to buy or not to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalves View Post
thank you! now it works perfectly
It works perfectly now????? Does this mean I can now get this awesome game for my Mac, which is a Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM and the 9600M GT, and not be concerned about the game not working or dissatisfied with game play?
Adventureinlife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 02:17 AM   #5
robecq
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventureinlife View Post
It works perfectly now????? Does this mean I can now get this awesome game for my Mac, which is a Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM and the 9600M GT, and not be concerned about the game not working or dissatisfied with game play?
Yes, but only if you play it in bootcamp
robecq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:47 PM   #6
Adventureinlife
macrumors newbie

Civilization V on my mac...to buy or not to buy?

Now that is... disappointing. So in order for me to be happy with the game play and not have to dumb down the graphics to nothing, I have to spend anywhere from $50 to $100 on a Windows OS, install it with bootcamp just so I can enjoy it on my 2 year old mac... after I buy the game for $50. How sad is that, but where theres a will theres a way... I just now found out about a opensource program called WineBottler which from the article I just read it will give mac users the ability to run Civilization 5 (and I imagine other windows games as well) without have to install a Windows OS in bootcamp. So I'm going to give that a try. That way I can at least download (from Steam for mac) the Civilization V Demo for the PC and see if I like the game play on my mac. Hopefully some day soon Aspyr will be known for making great games for Mac users and known for providing amazing customer support. Hey...it's ok to have dreams, even if they are pipe dreams.
Adventureinlife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:50 AM   #7
doh123
macrumors 65816

You'd be much better off using Wineskin instead of WineBottler. Yes Wineskin is my own project... but its much better overall for gaming.

I've run Civ5 native Mac version and Civ5 Windows version with Wineskin... and both run very similar, but overall the native Mac version will run better.

I don't get the problems everyone is complaining about, Civ5 native Mac version runs great for me.
doh123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 02:44 PM   #8
doh123
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manooloo View Post
You should have gone Windows, brah
I have a serious dislike of Windows... and having my machine in an OS that blocks me from using all the rest of my software.

If I have to boo tinto Windows to play a game, well no game in the world is worth that, I'd rather not play it at all.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:23 PM   #9
Godson1952
macrumors newbie

problem with the civ V game

I followed all the installation and I can not get the game to play or even say START GAME.So I would like to uninstall the game and try to reinstall.Should I do that or is there another way around it.
@ my
Godson1952 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:35 PM   #10
Godson1952
macrumors newbie

installion problem

what nobody HERE OR NOBODY GOT ANSWER?.
Godson1952 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:48 PM   #11
doh123
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godson1952 View Post
what nobody HERE OR NOBODY GOT ANSWER?.
your info isn't very useful. Saying a game won't work doesn't let us know what actually happens when you try. Of course erasing everything and reinstalling may or may not help, but theres no way for anyone to know from what info you gave.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games