Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
this button should do the trick?

note: this should be moved to the applications sub forum.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-27 at 15.14.38.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-27 at 15.14.38.png
    119.2 KB · Views: 64
Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks,
Any reason why avi wont load in iMovie

Many reasons. .AVI is not a supported container in iMovie and the .AVI file probably uses a highly compressive codec like Divx or Xvid, which is also not supported by iMovie or QuickTime.
You have to properly transcode the video to a .MOV file using the Apple Intermediate Codec for video and Uncompressed for audio via MPEG Streamclip.

Maybe the following can help you with properly using MPEG Streamclip and the appropriate settings. Instead of opening a video DVD you choose File > Open Files (CMD+O) and select your .avi file (or do you have more than one?).

JamesP.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
Many reasons. .AVI is not a supported container in iMovie and the .AVI file probably uses a highly compressive codec like Divx or Xvid, which is also not supported by iMovie or QuickTime.
You have to properly transcode the video to a .MOV file using the Apple Intermediate Codec for video and Uncompressed for audio via MPEG Streamclip.

Maybe the following can help you with properly using MPEG Streamclip and the appropriate settings. Instead of opening a video DVD you choose File > Open Files (CMD+O) and select your .avi file (or do you have more than one?).

Hey,

I do this as in video, i open the avi file, I set the settings as you have in video.

Heres the differences with mine compared to above video...

• The exporter view remains black as it encodes.
  • Video PID on mine is 0, not 221. Whats this setting?
  • Audio PID on mine is 0, not 128 AC3 2/0

Are these automatic settings or is 0 showing it's not doing it correctly.
And also once it reached 100% it started rencoding from 0% again and has done so for numerous hours. Repeatedly doing 0 to 100 and no final product.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Hey,

I do this as in video, i open the avi file, I set the settings as you have in video.

Heres the differences with mine compared to above video...

• The exporter view remains black as it encodes.
  • Video PID on mine is 0, not 221. Whats this setting?
  • Audio PID on mine is 0, not 128 AC3 2/0

Are these automatic settings or is 0 showing it's not doing it correctly.
And also once it reached 100% it started rencoding from 0% again and has done so for numerous hours. Repeatedly doing 0 to 100 and no final product.

Maybe you set something wrong. Can you make screenshots of your settings and attach them to your next post?

JamesP.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
Maybe you set something wrong. Can you make screenshots of your settings and attach them to your next post?

Hey, it has since completed encoding from 0 t0 100% (doesnt repeat like it did before) and i do get a .mov end result, but it doe not play and is just a black screen. No sound or video. I couldnt attach as my files saved as .tiff files and not .jpg/gif

Here's the steps with screenshot.

1.I go to FILE> ADD FILE> The AVI file then loads and this colour screen appears,i nstead of the usual mpeg streamclip 5 blue dots.
http://i47.tinypic.com/30sx653.jpg

2. I then move on to FILE> EXPORT TO QUICKTIME. and use the same settings as in the above video.
http://i45.tinypic.com/52b48g.jpg

Nov 28, 2010
located
Do you have Perian installed? If not, do so and try again, as MPEG Streamclip can't read that .avi file as of now.
If you have Perian installed:
In order to find out, what may be wrong with your video, you can use the following three applications to analyse a sample video file.
When done, you can use the "Report" (VideoSpec) and "Export" (Media Inspector) button to export a report,
attachable to your next post via the
2012_02_MR_attachbutton.png
button.
In MediaInfo you have to go to the Menu Bar, select View > Text and copy the text via CMD+A > CMD+C and paste it via CMD+V into your next post.

JamesP.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
Do you have Perian installed? If not, do so and try again, as MPEG Streamclip can't read that .avi file as of now.
If you have Perian installed:
In order to find out, what may be wrong with your video, you can use the following three applications to analyse a sample video file.
When done, you can use the "Report" (VideoSpec) and "Export" (Media Inspector) button to export a report,
attachable to your next post via the Image button.
In MediaInfo you have to go to the Menu Bar, select View > Text and copy the text via CMD+A > CMD+C and paste it via CMD+V into your next post.

Perian is installed, but it wasn't before. It showing movie now in the encoder preview, I'll let you know if final file works out.

Why is perian needed out of interest?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Why is perian needed out of interest?

As far as I know, MPEG Streamclip relies on the QuickTime framework, and since QT can't play .avi files using the Divx or Xvid or any other codec, Perian helps playing those via QT, thus having it installed, will help MPEG Streamclip too.

JamesP.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
As far as I know, MPEG Streamclip relies on the QuickTime framework, and since QT can't play .avi files using the Divx or Xvid or any other codec, Perian helps playing those via QT, thus having it installed, will help MPEG Streamclip too.

So will this be a problem now gain that Perian is not being developed anymore?

Just to let you know, that converted perfect for me, thanks for your help.

Nov 28, 2010
located
So will this be a problem now gain that Perian is not being developed anymore?

Just to let you know, that converted perfect for me, thanks for your help.

Since Perian works, not for the next year, unless you update to a Mac OS X version, where Perian is no longer supported (working), which OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, does still not do (it does support Perian).

JamesP.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
Since Perian works, not for the next year, unless you update to a Mac OS X version, where Perian is no longer supported (working), which OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, does still not do (it does support Perian).

Im Mac OS X 10.7.4.

Il be updating to M.Lion in a few weeks so I might have look for some other software or maybe not get ML yet.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.