Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We've been following Apple's efforts to open retail store locations in Sweden for some time, noting last November that the company had filed for a business registration certificate. The company began hiring for its new stores in February, although the locations for those stores were not disclosed at the time.

Over this past weekend, 99mac reported [Google translation] that a new location listing in Swedish search engine and mapping service Hitta.se has revealed Apple's forthcoming store in the Täby Centrum shopping center in Stockholm. According to sources, the store is scheduled to open on September 15.

apple_store_stockholm_taby_barrier.jpg

IDG.se followed up [Google translation] with a visit to the shopping center, where it discovered the under-construction store covered by Apple's traditional black construction barrier emblazoned with the Apple logo and the URL for company's Swedish site.

Apple is reportedly working on several other Swedish retail store sites, with a location in Malmö said to be planned for an October 25 opening and a second Stockholm site also said to be under consideration.

Sweden appears set to become the 14th country with an Apple retail store presence, with the company counting China and Hong Kong as separate markets. Unlike Apple's high-profile entry into the Netherlands earlier this year with a flagship store, the first Swedish store appears to be of the more standard mall-based variety, although with a very wide storefront indicating that it should be of substantial size.

Article Link: Apple Prepares to Open First Swedish Retail Stores

Dublinstiofán

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2006
Dublin
That's great, when are we getting one in Ireland?

You'll trust us with the European headquaters here but not with an :apple: Store!

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Can they sell to Sweden online without a business registration certificate? it's just every computer I see in Sweden seems to be a mac, but maybe that's just chance.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Can they sell to Sweden online without a business registration certificate? it's just every computer I see in Sweden seems to be a mac, but maybe that's just chance.

Yes, they have operated a Swedish online store for many years. They can of course also sell through distributors and other retail store partners as well. The business registration certificate was specifically for their own retail stores.

LastMinuteMike

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
It's Täby Centrum.

Actually guys, the name of the mall is Täby Centrum. I have no idea where you got Spectrum from, but it's completely wrong :)

Oh, and for the linguistically inclined people, the "ä" in "Täby" is pronounced as the "a" in the words "tavern" or "tab".

Last edited:

Henley

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012
Steve Jobs would have allowed this, thank you so much Apple, been waiting this for yeears :) :D :apple:

Merkuryy

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
Shanghai, China
Do I remember some Scandinavia folks complaining about whether AAPL would set up the first Apple store in Scandinavia? Well, looks like U.S. always make dreams come true:D

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
Taby is NOTin Stockholm, it's a suburb .... A place where they have a cheap shopping mall for generic goods.

Hardly flagship .... More like skin flint.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
Where's the Greek apple store?
We promise not to break it :p

In all seriousness, the Greek apple "certified" retailers and service providers suck so much, they give a very bad image of apple. They should better make an official apple store than having those monkeys operating their business in a country where apple becomes more and more popular in a very high rate.

Anghammarad

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2007
Taby is NOTin Stockholm, it's a suburb .... A place where they have a cheap shopping mall for generic goods.

Hardly flagship .... More like skin flint.

Yeah, I'm quite surprised that they put it there, even though it close to the most affluent suburbs of Stockholm. I was expecting Norrmalmstorg or something like that, not Täby.

dixido

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
Damn shame that the VAT of 25% in Sweden makes Apple products insanely expensive. Good thing that I live closer to VAT free Hong Kong these days. :cool::apple:

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Damn shame that the VAT of 25% in Sweden makes Apple products insanely expensive. Good thing that I live closer to VAT free Hong Kong these days. :cool::apple:

Haha try Denmark, since they are already doing sweden including denmark and norway would have been nice... but definitily an improvement :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.