Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FroColin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
So, through one of the most awesome and unexpected series of events to have taken place in my life, I am getting a rMBP with 2.6ghz and 16gb of RAM, I have a 2008 Mac Pro which I use for video editing but I need to upgrade it and... ugh, anyway, so I'm looking at buying a BlackMagic Cinema camera in the next year or so and I was wondering, should I grab some sort of thunderbolt RAID set up, and RAID 5 it or something, is it plausible to use Davinci Resolve on the rMBP? I know it's hugely graphics intensive so I'm guessing I can't really, not for any real work, but the rMBP is so convient with the BMCC because of the thunderbolt port on both of the products. I'm convinced, however, that the graphics performance on the rMBP will be mediocre due to the huge display it has to drive.

Does anyone have any experience with it? How does Final Cut run? I've been using Final Cut Studio 7 on my Mac Pro but I'll probably go to Final Cut Pro X for the new computer :( How does it work? What about Motion and After Effects? The main question though is davinci resolve.

Thanks

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
A few beta users was raving about Resolve 9 on the retina at the REDUSER.net site.
The only thing I would honestly buy a retina for is field use with my BMDCC (on order).
With the rumor of a 13", Im swaying in that direction.
Currently running Resolve 8.2.2 on Mac Pro and MBP 17" Uni.
So far so good :)

----------

Oh and as far as FCPX, it runs great.
But you can still install FCS 3.0 on Mountain Lion if you need to.

FroColin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Oh wow, I found that fourm post, now I'm even more excited. I was thinking just field use to but if it will run Resolve decently then I'll use that. My Mac Pro's graphics card is a piece of garbage that I need to upgrade but I'd prefer not to. I'll definitely be trying it out. Anyone know how it works for After Effects?

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
How After Effects works with Resolve?
Well depends what your after.
Resolve is for grading.
Do you want to grade before implementing into After Effects for say SFX work?
There is a huge post on this matter at the BMCUser site.
http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?807-Lossless-Workflow-for-Premiere
Im sure there are more posts on this matter.
Again it depends on your workflow.
For me, current workflow deals with REDs R3D files and AMA into Avid.
For personal I use FCPX so thatll be mostly XML into Resolve.

FroColin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Haha, excuse me, I realized that sounded incredibly ignorant "How does it work with after effects". I absolutely understand how workflows work although it was a good question that I should have been asking, if I should grade and then do effects work or effects work and then grade, and that whole process because I generally grade in color and then do After Effects for color grading if there are effects. My actual question was, how does After Effects work on the Retina display, but I suppose there are other posts that I should look at that will answer that question for me.
Thanks a bunch for that link btw, that was quite informative.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I have heard no issues with any CS 6 products with the retina.
I wish I had one to test :)
I def will be looking at the 13" model if it does come out.
Now as far as any small form factor system with AE, I cant work with it.
Im spoiled thanks to the dual 30"s at work :)
At home on a single 24" drives me nuts :p
The good thing about Resolve is that its made for single.
You can move scopes to another screen but nothing else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.