Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whiteshadoww

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Santa Monica, CA
It annoys me to no end that Apple refuses to allow us access to icloud.com through safari on iPads and iPhones. Why? Why are we punished for making th emove from gmail to icloud? Wish I woudl not have done that.

Any chance this restriction gets lifted in iOS6?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
It annoys me to no end that Apple refuses to allow us access to icloud.com through safari on iPads and iPhones. Why? Why are we punished for making th emove from gmail to icloud? Wish I woudl not have done that.

Any chance this restriction gets lifted in iOS6?

Why use the website when everything the site offers is on your iOS 5 device?

hektor5wolf

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
Unfortunately you still cant access icloud.com from iOS devices on iOS6

----------

Why use the website when everything the site offers is on your iOS 5 device?

Because there are things,like sharing reminders, that cannot be done on an iDevice

whiteshadoww

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Santa Monica, CA
I'm looking for that feature as my wife and I share the iPad and while we have access to iCloud through the mail app on our iPhones, we prefer to sign in and sign out of our email accounts through safari on the iPad. Why Apple restricts that is beyond me.

I love the company and have made money on the stock and enjoy (most of) the products but their single-mindedness can be maddening.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
If we can't access iCloud.com, it would be nice for all functionality to be built into an app or at least accessible through Settings like other features ...

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
I'm looking for that feature as my wife and I share the iPad and while we have access to iCloud through the mail app on our iPhones, we prefer to sign in and sign out of our email accounts through safari on the iPad. Why Apple restricts that is beyond me.

I love the company and have made money on the stock and enjoy (most of) the products but their single-mindedness can be maddening.

Because iPads are like iPhones - personal devices. Apple doesn't want you to share your iPad, Apple wants you and your wife to have separate iPads. By sharing it you're actually bringing in the restrictions yourself and not using a full featured email client or messaging client.

----------

If we can't access iCloud.com, it would be nice for all functionality to be built into an app or at least accessible through Settings like other features ...

And what functionality isn't available on an iOS device? Mail, contacts, calendars, reminders, photo stream....they're certainly all there on my iPad.

aarmstrong27

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Unfortunately you still cant access icloud.com from iOS devices on iOS6

----------

Because there are things,like sharing reminders, that cannot be done on an iDevice

How do you share reminders in iCloud???

Nevermind. I figured it out. Pretty neat, but could stand to be WAY easier across all devices.

Last edited:

aarmstrong27

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
I just noticed that Reminders in OSX 10.8.2 has the option to share reminders, so there's no need for the long processes I read about yesterday. Now that the option is built into the OSX Reminders, does anyone think it will be part of iOS6GM?

Just a thought....

sweetheart420

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
You should be able to access from any device not just the computer. It's not like you never accidentally delete something. Since my phone is backed up I should just be able to easily retrieve what was accidentally deleted instead of need to go to the computer to do that. My iMac is out of commission right now so since I can't use my own computer I have to go to someone else's house and use theirs?! That's really inconvenient when this is suppose to be about convenience. I deleted a contact that I need and it was there last time I backed up so in theory I should be able to get it from iCloud. But now it has to be all complicated. I have always been a fan of apple but right now I'm missing my droid because this would have been so simple.

Last edited:

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
You can set up and managed Shared Calendars now on iOS 6, but not Shared Reminder Lists. That's the only feature of iCloud.com that you can't use on your iOS 6 device.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I just came across this issue and it is truly baffling that Apple doesn't allows access to iCloud.com from a mobile device.

The reason why I wanted to access iCloud from my Galaxy S3 was to test the find My Mac feature and see if it worked. I use the Samsung Dive website to find, track and control my phone should it ever be lost or stolen but for my MacBook Pro I need to use iCloud's find My Mac feature.

But the website doesn't works in Chrome on my S3, giving me a "This browser does not support iCloud.com" message. When I request the desktop site, it loads but it doesn't scales and I can't pinch zoom either. If I try to change the orientation of the screen, the site crashes Chrome. It just can't be used.

It is incredible that Apple has made things this way. There is absolutely no reason why they can't just allow one to access iCloud.com on a mobile device as one would on a desktop computer.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Nothing compared to this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 102
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.