Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackhdev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
Bismarck, North Dakota
I'm running DNS on a Snow Leopard server and I'm able to link an IP address to any subdomain in a zone (http://www.example.com, server.example.com), but how can I assign an IP address to just example.com?

My other DNS provider lets me put a @ to represent example.com but SL server only allows numbers, letters, and a hyphen. It also doesn't let me create an A record with a blank name. What should I do?

----------

Solution:

Let's say the zone was example.com. The solution was pretty simple; I just added an A record with example.com. as the FQDN, added an IP and it worked fine.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Total noob here but, I'll try.

On my MLS MacMini, I just added Host (example.com) and gave it an IP. Then added another Host (test.example.com) with a different IP and it accepted both. Is that an option in SLS?

jackhdev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
Bismarck, North Dakota
Total noob here but, I'll try.

On my MLS MacMini, I just added Host (example.com) and gave it an IP. Then added another Host (test.example.com) with a different IP and it accepted both. Is that an option in SLS?

I haven't used MLS yet so I can't visualize exactly what you're doing, but I think we're doing the same thing (solution above). I create a zone named example.com and added an A record with name example.com. (the trailing dot makes it a fully qualified domain name and it worked).

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Ahh, I'm not sure. I'm still new to the Mac world, let alone the server side. I know the servers side in Unix/Linux/Windows and how everything works, just not with OSX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.