Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:50 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Tweetbot for Mac Alpha Program Ended Over Twitter API Restrictions

Following the introduction of new Twitter API guidelines -- the rules by which third-party Twitter clients must abide -- Tweetbot has decided to end the pre-release testing program of TweetBot for Mac.

The public Alpha program began more than a month ago to help Tweetbot get feedback on the Mac Twitter client as the developers moved towards final release.

One of the API changes relates to how many "tokens" a particular Twitter app can have, limiting the total number of customers an app can serve without approval from Twitter. In order to protect their ability to sell the maximum number of copies of the app going forward, Tweetbot has discontinued the alpha program and ceased distribution of the app.
Quote:
As some of you may have already noticed the download link for the Tweetbot for Mac alpha no longer works. Twitter's latest API Changes means now we have a large but finite limit on the number of user tokens we can get for Tweetbot for Mac. We've been working with Twitter over the last few days to try to work around this limit for the duration of the beta but have been unable to come up with a solution that was acceptable to them. Because of this we've decided its best for us to pull the alpha.
More than a few pundits have expressed their displeasure with the situation, putting the blame squarely on Twitter. Even so, at this point, Tweetbot for Mac will be available for sale "in the near future" and the developers are merely stopping the public phase of prerelease testing.

Article Link: Tweetbot for Mac Alpha Program Ended Over Twitter API Restrictions
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:54 PM   #2
daneoni
macrumors G4

Thanks a lot Twitter
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:54 PM   #3
HMI
macrumors 6502a

Wow

That was fast!
HMI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:56 PM   #4
rorschach
macrumors 68000

Twitter is shooing themselves in the foot imo. One of the major reasons for their success is the API and third party developers. Sure they say they'll "work with" individual clients that need more users, but you know this just means "licensing fees", which means only the big guys will get those exceptions.

And they claimed they want developers to create unique experiences and apps for Twitter rather than just recreating the official one. But now they're dictating exactly how every client has to look down to font size, pixel distance between the avatar and tweet, colors, linking, etc. It makes no sense.
rorschach is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:57 PM   #5
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Given additional requirements for 3rd party clients, which would in turn help Twitter monetize better, token limit seems rather absurd.
nutmac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:08 PM   #6
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

If only twitter could be more like facebook. And so it was.
chrmjenkins is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:10 PM   #7
FourCandles
macrumors 6502a

Not had the chance to sample the Alpha for Mac, but IMO TweetBot for iOS is the best Twitter client by far - and walks all over Twitter's own client app. I can see all the commercial reasons for trying to impose control of the ecosystem, but this seems to be a bad move.
FourCandles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:12 PM   #8
kirky29
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to kirky29 Send a message via Skype™ to kirky29
What makes/made Twitter great was the unique apps people made and how it could be built to look like anything...... why would/should people bother now that Twitter tells them what it's gotta look like right down to the fonts..

This could be the beginning of the end for Twitter...

Or maybe this will be forgotten about in a few months
kirky29 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:14 PM   #9
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

I'm just surprised the Twitter craze has lasted this long...
Pakaku is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:26 PM   #10
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Okay, twitter, you want your great first party experience? Where is my twitter for mac that supports the retina display?
rMBP'12, iMac'08/24", Mini'09, MBP'10/15", MBA'11/13". iPhone: 6+/128/sg, 5s/64S 5/64B, 4S/64W, 4/32B, 3GS/16. iPT: 3G,1G. iPad: Air,Mini2,4,3/LTE/64 2/3G/32, 1/WiFi/16. ATV'12,'11, AEBS'09, TC'13/2TB
haruhiko is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:27 PM   #11
gorskiegangsta
macrumors 65816

Here we go.
Victim number 1, check.

Next...
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:27 PM   #12
FourCandles
macrumors 6502a

Twitter has also now made it pretty impossible to see which are the popular client apps by removing the information from tweets on the website.

Mashable article here: http://mashable.com/2012/08/27/twitt...e-youre-using/
FourCandles is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:28 PM   #13
OtherJesus
macrumors regular

Twitter app for OSX and iOS suck balls.
OtherJesus is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:43 PM   #14
Flitzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorschach View Post
Twitter is shooing themselves in the foot imo. One of the major reasons for their success is the API and third party developers. Sure they say they'll "work with" individual clients that need more users, but you know this just means "licensing fees", which means only the big guys will get those exceptions.

And they claimed they want developers to create unique experiences and apps for Twitter rather than just recreating the official one. But now they're dictating exactly how every client has to look down to font size, pixel distance between the avatar and tweet, colors, linking, etc. It makes no sense.
Twitter didn't do anything.

Why should they go out of their way to accommodate a beta test for Tweetbot? I would think that 100,000 users is more than enough considering developers don't have to pay anything to use Twitter's resources.
Flitzy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:45 PM   #15
jj47
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherJesus View Post
Twitter app for OSX and iOS suck balls.
Seconded. And you can add Facebook to that list (even though it's ios app has become better).

If I want to social network I'll do it by browser to get a full experience.
jj47 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:57 PM   #16
rorschach
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flitzy View Post
Twitter didn't do anything.

Why should they go out of their way to accommodate a beta test for Tweetbot? I would think that 100,000 users is more than enough considering developers don't have to pay anything to use Twitter's resources.
If it was really about money, Twitter would have set up a licensing program and allowed any client with over X users to pay.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:05 PM   #17
Flitzy

Quote:
If it was really about money, Twitter would have set up a licensing program and allowed any client with over X users to pay.
Why should they? Twitter shouldn't be obligated to provide resources for beta testing their app.

This is just more developer whining.
Flitzy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:31 PM   #18
rorschach
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flitzy View Post
Why should they? Twitter shouldn't be obligated to provide resources for beta testing their app.

This is just more developer whining.
Nobody says they HAVE to. Nobody is saying they are obligated. They can do whatever they want. But Twitter has been successful to no small degree because of its API and third party developers. So they are shooting themselves in the foot. Those developers will simply migrate to other platforms.

It's just like how Facebook is free to set whatever privacy policies it wants to; but that doesn't mean having one that pisses off users is a good idea.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:42 PM   #19
stiligFox
macrumors 6502a

Aw cheese, no I wish I would've grabbed it while I had the chance. Tweetbot for iPad is a godsend and Twitter for Mac sucks. Oh well, hopefully it'll come out of beta soon!

What am I saying? I only use Twitter to follow Notch, Jeb and Dinnerbone lol.
stiligFox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:16 PM   #20
babyj
macrumors 6502a

Not sure why Twitter are catching flack for this.

Tapabots want to hold on to their 100,000 tokens until they can make money from them by selling their apps. They don't want to give any of them away via their beta programme as it will cost them sales and profit in the future. Whilst Twitter provide Tapabots with the services they in effect resell and don't charge them for it.

I'd say Tapabots are the ones in the wrong here.
babyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:28 AM   #21
petsounds
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Nobody says they HAVE to. Nobody is saying they are obligated. They can do whatever they want. But Twitter has been successful to no small degree because of its API and third party developers. So they are shooting themselves in the foot. Those developers will simply migrate to other platforms.
Well, in social media 'successful' is sort of a funny term. No one knows how much money Twitter is making for sure, but it doesn't seem to be very much. But they have deep venture capital pockets. Meanwhile its 'ecosystem' is raking in quite a bit of cash. The reason they're doing all this is because they want to control the stream and put ads in it. They want to monetize this huge user base they have. At this point they don't really care about the 3rd party guys who have basically been getting a free ride on the Twitter service.
petsounds is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:43 AM   #22
kristoffer4
macrumors 6502a

So will the for sale version be limited in the app store?!
kristoffer4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:21 AM   #23
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

So basically Twitter is now putting a limit on how many users a third-party Twitter application can have.

I wonder when Tweetbot for iOS and the rest of the third-party will be affected.

It only seems to be a question of when.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:25 AM   #24
FourCandles
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgrove View Post
So basically Twitter is now putting a limit on how many users a third-party Twitter application can have.

I wonder when Tweetbot for iOS and the rest of the third-party will be affected.

It only seems to be a question of when.
They already are. The official Twitter post mentioned in the article references it, albeit a little obscurely; however this post from Tapbots (TweetBot developer) explains it a little better:

http://tapbots.com/blog/news/dont-panic

Obviously that was written before they decided to pull the TweetBot for Mac alpha.
FourCandles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:40 AM   #25
chuckiej
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourCandles View Post
They already are. The official Twitter post mentioned in the article references it, albeit a little obscurely; however this post from Tapbots (TweetBot developer) explains it a little better:

http://tapbots.com/blog/news/dont-panic

Obviously that was written before they decided to pull the TweetBot for Mac alpha.
Yeah maybe they will panic now.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion