Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
(I have posted this in Apple Discussions, but yet no answer.)

Ever since installing Snow Leopard, I'm having continuous problems with fonts, that prevent me from working normally.

Besides the FontBook endless bugs (deleting font libraries, reactivating fonts without permission, crashing etc.), I have bumped into a new problem: all my TrueType Baltic (Lithuanian) fonts stopped working properly. To be more precise - the standard keyboard input doesn't work properly for them - when I try to type the Lithuanian characters in any application, I see empty squares. I use InDesign for work, and when I open Glyphs panel there, I do see those missing symbols and I can type them in manually from there, but it is ridiculous. All of those fonts I was using worked PERFECTLY in Leopard!!! I do have some (probably newer) fonts, that work - most of them where installed with the system, so it's just a standard set of fonts...

I do remember from my Windows times, that it has something to do with encoding, but cmon - it all worked before installing Snow Leopard and I have no idea what to do :(

I WANT MY FONTS BACK!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

orvn

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Isn't it the same as rebooting in Safe Mode, or removing font cache with Onyx? I will try and see what happens.

Removing font cache is the same as with OnyX. However Font Nuke's main function is the removal of duplicate fonts.

Soom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
Ok, tried all of it - Font Nuke, Safe Boot, Onyx, reinstalling Font Book from scratch - no change. Two major problems that still remain after all the cleanup-reinstall processes:
- 1. Font Book is showing all the fonts as active, although NONE of them are really active.
- 2. old non-unicode Lithuanian fonts do not type correctly with the normal Apple keyboard, which, as I was told, is normal, but then there comes a question: how did it all work in Leopard?

Soom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
Old thread, but I have recently reinstalled Snow Leopard from scratch, and Font Book just doesn't work - same bug and more:
1. Font book reactivates all the fonts, although I have unactivated them before
2. Font book marks some fonts as duplicates, although they are completely different fonts.
3. Font Book crashes when trying to remove apparently "corrupted" fonts.
Clearing font cache and restarting in Safe Mode doesn't help. Reinstalling Font Book and deleting it's prefs file doesn't help. I guess I will have to finally switch to some other paid software... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.