Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
I thought it might be useful if we share newly discovered apps, with a small review to go with it (rather than just a list of favourite apps).

Here are my three most recent apps:

1. Omnifocus. LOVE IT. A great way of organising to do lists and projects in process, and it syncs well with mac.

2. Alarm Clock from Spotlight Six Software. The alarm on this clock is a progressive increase in the sound of Tibetan bells. It's a very soft and gentle way to wake up in the morning. There are lots of different options in terms of what kind of bell you want, and how you want the sound to progress.

3. AppShopper. This app gives you an overview over all the apps that are on reduced price in the app shop. I saved a little chunk of money here when I purchased Omnifocus - I probably wouldn't have noticed otherwise that it was 50% off.

denisvj

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2006
Yesterday I found PDF Cabinet and found it better than the one I was using to organize all my pdf files , It still lacks dropbox but they already say an update it's coming with dropbox support .

dogthateats

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2012
I just downloaded shuffler.fm. Its kind of like flipboard for music blogs. It categorizes music by genres and is a good music discovery app. I have been messing around with it since i downloaded it. I have not made an account yet but there is a ton you can do without an account.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I found the old Nintendo version of X-Men was ported to the iPhone...plays pretty well and I always liked this game as a kid. Just search for "X-Men"...it is a universal app.

eneirdacalista

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2012
Schedaroo

Schedaroo. Love it! It helps me manage my facebook and twitter posts because I can schedule future postings now. Great for someone with a short memory span like me. Plus, it's the only app I've seen thus far that has more than manage more than one platform.

dogthateats

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2012
I just discovered doodlecast pro, free today. It simulataneously records audio and whatever you draw. You then can email that video or send it to dropbox or save to camera roll or upload to youtube straight from the app.

dogthateats

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2012
I just discovered the app called Just Type. It is a basic notes app similar to notes on iPhone. However this app is universal and uses iCloud. The coolest thing about this app is it uses the typing tweak that allows you to easily move the cursor by using two fingers horizontally anywhere on the keyboard (on the iPad only). The app is free but does cost .99 to integrate dropbox.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
I just downloaded MagicalPad yesterday. It was one dollar (on sale). It's an app where you can do mind mapping, outlines, meeting notes and so on. I haven't tested it out properly yet, but my first impression is positive.

alfred1986

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2009
I have used many apps. But really interesting is the app called WorldCard HD!

Something about WorldCard HD - I Like it. This app helps me to save all the details of my contacts such as their Name, Email, Address, Company, Phone Number etc,. Also one of its feature OCR (Optical Character Recognition) recognizes all the character very accurately. Just Amazing.!

Please have a look & try it. You will love this!

steveoc

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Adirondacks NY
I recently discovered Tap Forms, an easy to use customizable database creation tool. with over 20 pre made and customizable "forms." It has a wide variety of field types like text, number, date, photo, file, audio recording, etc. It has customizable pick lists for easy data entry. It even can scan bar codes and record GPS.

It's incredibly intuitive to use. It costs $6.99 USD They have a free lite version for the iPhone (and a full version at $6.99—wish it were universal). The developer also just released a Mac version.

It has many import and export settings to CSV. It supports iCloud Sync. Their website: http://www.tapforms.com.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
I recently discovered Tap Forms, an easy to use customizable database creation tool. with over 20 pre made and customizable "forms." It has a wide variety of field types like text, number, date, photo, file, audio recording, etc. It has customizable pick lists for easy data entry. It even can scan bar codes and record GPS.

It's incredibly intuitive to use. It costs $6.99 USD They have a free lite version for the iPhone (and a full version at $6.99—wish it were universal). The developer also just released a Mac version.

It has many import and export settings to CSV. It supports iCloud Sync. Their website: http://www.tapforms.com.

I like the look of that.

I see on the web site they have 'passport number' and 'health info' as examples of what could be stored in there. Would you put this kind of personal info in the cloud?

steveoc

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Adirondacks NY
I like the look of that.

I see on the web site they have 'passport number' and 'health info' as examples of what could be stored in there. Would you put this kind of personal info in the cloud?

The app supports 256 bit encryption. That being said—probably not.

I use it primarily to log what I have done in terms of my professional duties as a teacher: contact with parents, professional collaboration, etc. In this era of intense scrutiny of what we do as teachers with 60-70 performance indicators, I'm leaving nothing to chance and documenting everything!

Documentation can be done very quickly with field with assigned pick lists.

Tap Forms fits the bill. It will even be better when I get an iPhone.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
The app supports 256 bit encryption. That being said—probably not.

I use it primarily to log what I have done in terms of my professional duties as a teacher: contact with parents, professional collaboration, etc. In this era of intense scrutiny of what we do as teachers with 60-70 performance indicators, I'm leaving nothing to chance and documenting everything!

Documentation can be done very quickly with field with assigned pick lists.

Tap Forms fits the bill. It will even be better when I get an iPhone.

Nice, that's useful. Yep, we will be known as the most documentation and assessment obsessed era in history :)

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Thanks for the heads-up!
Although not a real writer, I purchased it right away - the concept reminded me of Reeder (which I love). So I'm sure I can use Daedalus for the limited text processing I need to do and where Pages is just, well, too much.

Daedalus is on sale now in the app store. I've had this note taking app for a while and I really like the UI and the way it organises your text by stacks. Here's a recent review:

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/review/daedalus_text_editor_for_ipad_soars

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Doodlecast Pro vs Explain Everything

I just discovered doodlecast pro, free today. It simulataneously records audio and whatever you draw. You then can email that video or send it to dropbox or save to camera roll or upload to youtube straight from the app.

How does Doodlecast compare to Explain Everything? It seems to me that Explain Everything has many other useful features. For example, you can open a webpage in the middle of your presentation.

dogthateats

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2012
How does Doodlecast compare to Explain Everything? It seems to me that Explain Everything has many other useful features. For example, you can open a webpage in the middle of your presentation.

I have no idea. I snagged doodlecast when it was free. I'm not a peacher and rarely give presentations so doodlecast worked for me.

TreoRenegade

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
EverNote Moleskine (which I've grown to loathe) Alternatives:

WhiteLines Link
Http://www.Whitelines.se for free PDF downloads. Grab the free iPhone app from the iOS store. Write as usual on the Whitelines PDF/paper. Check one or more of the boxes at the page bottom, to toss to Evernote, DropBox &/or another option I forgot (Google Drive?).

CamiApp
iPhone app is free. Notebooks in packs of 4 or 5 $21-28, depending on size. Run a search on CAMIAPP at http://www.JetPens.com for the notebooks.

As an Evernote Premium member, my handwritten notes are searchable within 5-10 minutes of push to Evernote. Unlike the Moleskine analog/digital thingie, these 2 apps are much easier to use re snapping the pic, AND assigning default target notebook/tags OR choosing one on the fly per submission. Plus, the CamiApp notebook paper is serious quality, no bleedthru, showthru etc with fountain pens, etc.

FWIW, I now use both in my daily workflow. CamiApp pocket notebooks for with-me-always goodness; the Whitelines letter size paper lives in my Staples M Arc leather-bound system ($15/ letter; $10/ journal).

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Someone just alerted me to this app, and I think it looks great - like a perfect combination between simplicity and functionality, at least for my purposes.

http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/products/taskpaper

Unfortunately it's a bit pricey so I won't be testing it out until I get paid again, but I love the way it easily let's you format the interface as you type.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Well i discover these app couple of years ago but worth mention :) Onavo app, it will be of much help for people with limited data plans.

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
CloudOn
Brilliant App to access all my dropbox files and work with them, including MS Office files. Really makes my iPad a working tool, and I wouldn't want to be without it.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
CloudOn
Brilliant App to access all my dropbox files and work with them, including MS Office files. Really makes my iPad a working tool, and I wouldn't want to be without it.

If you like simple cloud sharing like for example send a link to a file or pictures etc i recommend you a try to cloudapp :) the client i use os stratus but its not free anymore; i use it along with dropbox.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Among all the apps I have, I think macx dvd ripper pro is the best. With this app, I can copy all of my dvd collections to my iphone and then watch them whenever I want. :)
I hope you realize that this is an iPad thread.

My recent awesome discovery: RPNscfi (used to be free but now paid). Awesome RPN calculator. I also recently got Promodoro - just wish it had iPhone 5 support.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
CloudOn

I really wish there was an iOS app or even Mac app that could "fuse" all of our cloud services into one folder. Of course, they would still be stored in different locations, but the app would make it appear they are all in the same location. I think it would make a lot of money too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.