Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Launch Meetups

Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:05 AM   #1
GarryBacon
macrumors regular

Exclamation iPhone 5 - Exeter, UK

Hello,

Right thought it was appropriate to see who's going to Exeter, Princceshay this year. Last year for the 4s was quite a large turnout. I am looking forward to it as my 4s is on its last legs!!

I will be there with a few others and if you need any help with good places to park etc or any more information then just ask. Partially ashamed to say I have been there a good few times now!! Haha

Either way who's coming?

Garry.
GarryBacon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:14 AM   #2
MattZani
macrumors 68020

Your 4S is on its last legs.

What.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:33 PM   #3
GarryBacon
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattZani View Post
Your 4S is on its last legs.

What.
Sent it away to get fixed. The battery lasts 2 hours max it's so hot all the time. Let's see what they purpose to do. But not bothered really just waiting for this new iPhone already sold this one.
GarryBacon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:39 AM   #4
jgbr
macrumors 6502

considering going on friday morning but not sure what time to get there
jgbr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:40 AM   #5
GarryBacon
macrumors regular

Well from my experience it's going to be very busy, iPhone launches are. If you want to be in out before 8:30. Get there at no later than 1:30. Sounds ridiculous but it's a ridiculous thing to do queing for these phones that is what makes it fun. If you have any more questions let me know.
GarryBacon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:04 AM   #6
jgbr
macrumors 6502

I was more thinking 6-7amm that's the earliest i can get there.

It is rural after all lol

Last edited by jgbr; Sep 18, 2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:29 PM   #7
bat717
macrumors regular

Hi!

I told myself I was not going to get the iPhone 5, as I don't NEED it. So I didn't
preorder it. Now... I want one! I am hoping I can find someone to come to Exeter on launch day with me (as I don't drive), but it's not looking too positive Just wanted to join in here anyway, as I remember some of you from previous launches (garrybacon, I'm looking at you!), and I can just hope that I can get there somehow! Just ordered a nano sim from Orange... Which was kind of optimistic of me, but just wanted to be prepared!

Hopefully see you all Friday!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:33 PM   #8
GarryBacon
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat717 View Post
Hi!

I told myself I was not going to get the iPhone 5, as I don't NEED it. So I didn't
preorder it. Now... I want one! I am hoping I can find someone to come to Exeter on launch day with me (as I don't drive), but it's not looking too positive Just wanted to join in here anyway, as I remember some of you from previous launches (garrybacon, I'm looking at you!), and I can just hope that I can get there somehow! Just ordered a nano sim from Orange... Which was kind of optimistic of me, but just wanted to be prepared!

Hopefully see you all Friday!
Yeah well I think this is going to be the first event for a while where I will not be going. Due to financial situation I have decided to go on a contract with this new iPhone 5. I wasn't particularly thrilled about this but it's actually cheaper.

I pay 26 a month just for a sim card loaded with All you can 'eat' data from 3 and 2000 mins 3000 texts and 5000 three to three minutes.

How that worked out in my head is 529 (iPhone 5 16GB) and 24 x 26 (Contract 1 month rolling = 624). That equals a. Whopping 1153 for two years and I own the iPhone 5 at the end.

The way I have chosen is 79 upfront for the iPhone 5 16GB version and 36 a month (24 x 36 = 864). That equals to 943!! That's 210 cheaper than paying upfront and at the end of two years Three unlock your phone.

So because of that I'm getting it delivered on Friday. I have paid Three and we should see if they hold out to there promise of delivering on Friday. I. I will still be here to help you out and if you have any questions then please ask.

Hope all goes well and thanks for reading my essay!!
Good Luck!!!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:37 PM   #9
bat717
macrumors regular

I used my upgrade last year to get the 4S, so unfortunately have flipping ages to go on my contract (next July I think). Otherwise I would have jumped ship from Orange and gone to 3. Never mind, at least next year I'll be able to get rid of them, and hopefully get a iPhone...6? 5S? Whatever. I'm sure I'll want it!

Still having no luck finding a driver. Guess I'll have to wait to get mine
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:16 AM   #10
jgbr
macrumors 6502

I'M still going, tho im concerned news that lead times on online orders is going up so more people might turn up friday morning.

Am actively trying to find a way to get there earlier then 6.30 but have to catch a train up from south devon
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:17 AM   #11
bat717
macrumors regular

Argh had found someone to take me, and then it turns out I have an appointment at 10 am. Trying to get it put back a few hours, but I am not hopeful. What are the chances of getting in the queue at 6.30 ish and being out by 10?! I'm thinking it's unlikely...!

If I can get it put back, where are the best places to park? I'm assuming Princesshay won't be open that early? Is there anywhere else nearby and open?

Cheers.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:30 AM   #12
jgbr
macrumors 6502

Dont be silly , people turning up at 6-7 should be out easily by 10.

This part of princesshay is undercover and a car park is very near to it, its open plan so open around the clock.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:34 AM   #13
GarryBacon
macrumors regular

Quote:
Argh had found someone to take me, and then it turns out I have an appointment at 10 am. Trying to get it put back a few hours, but I am not hopeful. What are the chances of getting in the queue at 6.30 ish and being out by 10?! I'm thinking it's unlikely...!

If I can get it put back, where are the best places to park? I'm assuming Princesshay won't be open that early? Is there anywhere else nearby and open?

Cheers.
You're right that carpark will not be open. Please look for my 4s Exeter thread where I found the best carpark I use on all my launch goings. Close and cheap.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbr View Post
Dont be silly , people turning up at 6-7 should be out easily by 10.

This part of princesshay is undercover and a car park is very near to it, its open plan so open around the clock.
Not with the iPhones. I was basically at new look last year for the 4s getting there at 1:30. By 6 it was everywhere. iPhone launches see about twice as many people usually more!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:54 AM   #14
jgbr
macrumors 6502

new look is about what, 20-30 people?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:00 AM   #15
GarryBacon
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbr View Post
new look is about what, 20-30 people?
Approx. also on the 4s launch we had a lot of Chinese people buying them which is clearly fine but they kept getting new people and we couldn't keep on top of who was there first or just joining in. Got a little teasy and annoying. Plus the Princcesshay staff who where there there all night and morning told us if we didn't shut up we would have to leave. That was not us it was the group at the front shouting at each other (the Chinese bunch) instead of talking like normal people at 3am!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:02 AM   #16
jgbr
macrumors 6502

Yeah i can see how that would be annoying to us Queueing British types.

Well I can't get their much earlier then 6.30 so will be a good 30 people back i guess.

I've got to catch the train up from south devon so stuck!

If you say its going to be everywhere at 6.30 id rather wait 3 weeks lol.

could always turn up and if ridiculously long order on my phone and walk away

Last edited by jgbr; Sep 19, 2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:16 PM   #17
gavinfabl
macrumors regular

I'm aiming to be there from 10pm Thursday, sleeping bag too.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:40 AM   #18
bat717
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinfabl View Post
Good luck! Hope it doesn't get too cold!

Okay, now I'm pushing my luck. I need to be out of Exeter by 9.30am at the very latest! And 5.30am is the VERY earliest I can get there. Sigh. Not sure I'm going to be able to do it. Gonna have a go though! I hope the queues move quickly. Does anyone know whether they have the two queues system, i.e. one for those wanting contracts and one for those who want to buy outright? I really hope they do!

Thanks
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:23 AM   #19
gavinfabl
macrumors regular

Quote:
Good luck! Hope it doesn't get too cold!

Okay, now I'm pushing my luck. I need to be out of Exeter by 9.30am at the very latest! And 5.30am is the VERY earliest I can get there. Sigh. Not sure I'm going to be able to do it. Gonna have a go though! I hope the queues move quickly. Does anyone know whether they have the two queues system, i.e. one for those wanting contracts and one for those who want to buy outright? I really hope they do!

Thanks
I was in Exeter store today. They're playing coy with numbers of phones and extras. Will watch them count out through the glass as I wait

BTw Carphonewarehouse in Princesshay has massive range of iPhone 5 cases. Got myself a nice one.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:10 PM   #20
gavinfabl
macrumors regular

Okay car parked now for night.

Took photo overlooking Exeter store.

https://twitter.com/gavinfabiani/sta...13762931470338
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:34 PM   #21
jgbr
macrumors 6502

Afraid i bailed because of the story of the chinese coming at 3am and backing it up to new look, can you keep the pictures coming tho....
jgbr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:59 PM   #22
GarryBacon
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinfabl View Post
10pm? That's going to be a long night for you. Hope you don't get too cold!!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:21 PM   #23
gavinfabl
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryBacon View Post
10pm? That's going to be a long night for you. Hope you don't get too cold!!
Thanks.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:26 PM   #24
jgbr
macrumors 6502

keep the pics coming
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:24 PM   #25
jackolamb
macrumors newbie

Hey guys, can you keep me updated on the queue length please, I'm going to arrive at Princesshay at 7am, is that OK do you think?
jackolamb is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Launch Meetups

Tags
exeter, iphone, princesshay