Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitenoise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
U.K.
I have a Draytek Vigor 2820 router connected to several devices on a wired network, including unriad media server, pc, NAS.

I was connecting my Snow leopard iMac via wifi only, but I wasn't getting fast enough transfer from my media backup, so I decided to use ethernet cable.

The network included a switch at the router end and one at the iMac end to accomodate the gear attached. (I didn't seem to have any problems with this to begin with).

I have now stripped down everything off the network and connected via wifi again and am still having this problem.....

If I leave my iMac off and all the other devices connected, (or if they aren't connected for that matter), the router seems to be fine, but...... As soon as I turn the iMac on and it makes a connection the router crashed and resets, (sometimes it even locks up). As far as my tinkering has shown it is directly connected to the iMac and it doesn't matter what else is connected.

Is there a known problem with using ethernet on the iMac? (which has now caused a problem with the wifi connection). What are the steps I should be going through to figure out what the problem is?

Thanks for your help, I hope I have explained this clearly enough, I'm getting sick of having to reset my router........by the way once the connection is working it seems to stay stable for a good while, its only when first making a connection there is problem.

whitenoise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
U.K.
Well I've remembered my Draytek forum password, so I have posted in that forum aswell. Hopefully I can report back with a solution, but just incase.

One other piece of information... When I connected the iMac to ethernet it was also connecting to the router via wifi, (I didn't turn wifi off). There did not seem to be an issue with this, but I am wondering if this has been the source of my problem?

I am running snow leopard on the internal HDD and now on a newly installed external SSD, booting from either install seems to have the same effect. (wifi and ethernet were on at the same time using both installs).

The ethernet cable is now disconnected and I am using wifi only, but the problem persists.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.