Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:43 PM   #1
terpguy
macrumors newbie

Desktop Icons Disappeared

All of the icons on my desktop disappeared today when I turned on my laptop. Things have been running fine since I upgraded to Mountain Lion a week ago, so this just happened out of the blue. All of the files that were on the desktop still appear in the desktop folder, but they just are not displaying on the desktop. Any ideas on how to fix this?

(Also - if I save a new file to the desktop, that icon will appear, but my previous files still appear to be missing their icon.)
terpguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:46 PM   #2
oldheap
macrumors newbie

Same problem

I've been having the same problem when we switch users. Force quitting and relaunching the Finder returns all the folders to the desktop, but they are all in a pile in the center of the screen. View/Clean up by/.... works but not in the original order.
oldheap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:24 PM   #3
terpguy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldheap View Post
I've been having the same problem when we switch users. Force quitting and relaunching the Finder returns all the folders to the desktop, but they are all in a pile in the center of the screen. View/Clean up by/.... works but not in the original order.
Thanks, the cleanup/view by brings back the icons, but they are still "disappearing" every so often and without explanation. Hopefully someone else has been experiencing this.
terpguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:36 PM   #4
oldheap
macrumors newbie

Possible fix!

I tried a suggestion from another thread, and it seems to work. Go to System Preferences/Displays and switch the resolution to another setting(any), then switch back to your original resolution setting. Since doing this about a week ago, the Finder seems stable with the desktop icons and folder not "disappearing". Don't ask me why!?!
oldheap is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion