Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fresh22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2012
Ok so I have a 13" MacBook from 2008. A while back I got the folder sign when I turned on my laptop, so I bought a new hd, put it in, then tried to install os x with the first install disk.
When I insert the disk and held c, nothing happened. I got the apple sign, then it shuts down.
When I insert the disk and hold option, I get a square with a disk in it and an arrow, when I click on the disk, the computer shuts down and starts up over and over with nothing else happening.

Where do I go from here? I've honestly seen no other posts anywhere where this happens.

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
Wow, that's strange.

Do you feel comfortable that you properly replaced the drive and reconnected all cables? And the OS X installation disc you're using is valid for your model Macbook?

I don't know what the problem could be, but while you wait for better advice, you could try resetting the PRAM if you haven't already, just in case that clears something up.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Zapping_The_PRAM

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.