Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msbdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
baja california norte
hello everyone- i now have an airport extreme 5th gen attached to my cable modem as a router for my home network. everything is on ethernet downstairs (apple tv, mini) or on 5ghz (ipad2, macbook air) but upstairs my wife uses her trusty imac g5. obviously she can use the same extreme on 2.4ghz, but of course that slows all the other wireless devices to that speed as well. i'm thinking i could get an airport express to extend the network upstairs and use its ethernet connection for the g5. will that work? does anything i just said make any sense? a better way to accomplish this? i am open to your ideas. appreciate the help!!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Having the iMac on the 2.4Ghz band does not slow down the other devices. Even having a WiFi b device won't slow down the other devices.

msbdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
baja california norte
Having the iMac on the 2.4Ghz band does not slow down the other devices. Even having a WiFi b device won't slow down the other devices.

didnt know that. will having the g5 on the express ethernet upstairs be faster than just leaving it on the extreme? thanks again

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Yes, but if you're just browsing the internet and not doing any big local network transfers there won't be much speed gain.

msbdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
baja california norte
awesome

Yes, but if you're just browsing the internet and not doing any big local network transfers there won't be much speed gain.

thanks again- love this site, it has become one of my most valued mac resources :apple:
btw- got it all hooked up today and it all runs much faster than before!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.