Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
What do you guys use for editing on the iPad? Currently using iPhoto but wondering if there are better ones out there.

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
What do you guys use for editing on the iPad? Currently using iPhoto but wondering if there are better ones out there.

I find that it really depends on what you want to accomplish. For light editing and small touch-ups I'll stick with iPhoto, but if I'm wanting something more stylized I'll use Snapseed. I also have Photoshop Touch on there as well if I want to do masking or manipulation as well as Procreate, which is more of an art app, but it's brushes are so amazing that you'll want to play with it here and there.

What I'm STILL trying to find is a good app for organizing and rating my photos, and allows me to sync them back into my Aperture library. If anybody knows of one please let me know. Thanks!

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
Yes, iPhoto is good, it is easy to show pictures to others on your iPad through iPhoto as well.

There is something that you should be aware of though. Both the iPad and the various software impose size restrictions on your pictures. Depending on how you shoot, your pictures may be reduced in size. While the iPad is great to review, share, show, rotate, do minor editing, email from, etc., I import into Aperture from my SD cards and not synced from the iPad nor PhotoStream. That way I know that my pics have not been altered silently in the background. The iPad, while convenient in the field, is not yet a replacement for the Mac/PC.

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
Yes, iPhoto is good, it is easy to show pictures to others on your iPad through iPhoto as well.

There is something that you should be aware of though. Both the iPad and the various software impose size restrictions on your pictures. Depending on how you shoot, your pictures may be reduced in size. While the iPad is great to review, share, show, rotate, do minor editing, email from, etc., I import into Aperture from my SD cards and not synced from the iPad nor PhotoStream. That way I know that my pics have not been altered silently in the background. The iPad, while convenient in the field, is not yet a replacement for the Mac/PC.

Good points, but that is ONLY when you go to edit them and that really depends on the app. Loading them into your iPad for reviewing won't down grade your photos. At the very worst your larger files may not allow for zoom or a preview, but I have yet to run into this. iPhoto can edit up to 19MP, but only accepts Jpeg. Snapseed can accept RAW, but the output is limited to 6MP=iPad1 16MP=iPad2 and 20MP=iPad3. Which is why I set my camera to capture both RAW and JPEG when shooting. After that my current workflow when traveling is: transfer photos to iPad using connector kit (backup 1), allow them to load to Photostream when I get back to the hotel using their Wifi (backup 2), meanwhile I'll leave Aperture running on my Mac at home and set it for automated Photostream downloads (backup 3 which, believe it or not, carries both the RAW and JPEGs parts), store my memory cards in a safe place until I get home (backup 4). I may still edit those Photos in iPhoto to share while still on the road, but the original will still remain untouched. So far works great, but I really wish I could rate those photos before they get back to Aperture. It would really speed up my workflow once I get home. Any thoughts on that?

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
iPad "optimizes" pics that are transferred to it. Move large pics from a Mac to an iPad in the Camera Roll, Photo Stream, Photo Library, iPhoto, etc., and then check and compare the size of the files after the transfer.

Last edited by a moderator:

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
Post-Script - here is what Snapseed says on their site:

In Snapseed, what resolution are my photos saved as?
Any photos enhanced with Snapseed will be saved at the same resolution as the original photo up to what your iPad will allow. An iPad 1 can save an image up to 6.25 megapixels, an iPad 2 can save an image up to 16 megapixels, and an iPad 3rd Generation can save up to 20.25 megapixels. If your image is larger than your iPad supports, the image will be downsampled to the maximum supported megapixels.

I believe that if you go over the limits iPhoto scales down your pictures by a factor of four. For example, if you upload a pic above 16 megapixels into an iPad 2 then the file size will be 4+ megapixels in Photo Stream what iTunes, etc., syncs to your Mac.

What I do when shooting with an iPad is to shoot both RAW and JPEG. I only edit the JPEG on the iPad.

Last edited by a moderator:

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
iPad "optimizes" pics that are transferred to it. Move large pics from a Mac to an iPad in the Camera Roll, Photo Stream, Photo Library, iPhoto, etc., and then check and compare the size of the files after the transfer.

I was concerned about that too and you're right that if you're going FROM your Mac or Photostream (itunes or photostream) to an iOS device that they are optimized, but not the other way around. Mac (itunes) or Photostream to iPad or iPhone = 3.1MP max. iPad (loaded using camera kit) to Photostream and Aperture = no loss of resolution or file quality. This is something that I've experimented with and double and triple checked the results before I settled on the workflow so this is not hearsay. This is something that works in practice.

Now all that being said, my DSLR is shooting at 10MP. Perhaps I haven't hit the shelf for optimization yet?

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
You are below the optimization threshold for the iPad 2 and the new iPad.

Ah ha! I kind of figured that something was a miss. That makes a lot more sense now. Hopefully that shelf gets extended to at least 19MP to I can keep this structure going once I get a 7D. Thanks for the info bud!

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
The new iPad is up to 20.25MP. I really should upgrade as I have the iPad 2 which has a threshold of 16MP and my camera sensor is 16.1MP. :mad: :eek:

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
The new iPad is up to 20.25MP. I really should upgrade as I have the iPad 2 which has a threshold of 16MP and my camera sensor is 16.1MP. :mad: :eek:

That's good to know. Well then I'll just keep collecting glass and wait another year or two before upgrading my camera body (nothing wrong with my current pics anyway). By that time I'll be ready to upgrade my iPad as well. Thanks for again!

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011

Hey Guys! I know this is a really old thread, but I thought I'd update you all on the iPad's photo "optimization" that occurs when importing or saving hi-res photos to the Camera-roll. This nagged at me again once I saw that iPhoto iOS had been updated to support resolutions up to 36MP (iPad 3 only. iPad 2 is still 19MP). Also, I am getting closer to acquiring a new camera body so I was curious to see how this would affect my current workflow.

To test this I recently downloaded a 22.5MP jpeg taken with a 5DMK3 and saved it to the camera roll on my iPad 2. I did the same with a 18MP jpeg from a 7D. Both images remained in their full resolution and were backed up to Photostream just like any other image. So, unless something different happens when importing using the camera connection kit (which I can't see why it would) or RAW is handled differently (I can't imagine that being the case) it looks like the original images that are imported onto an iPad2/3 (can't speak for the iPad1) will remain untouched. It appears that the photo editing app is the limiting factor. This is great for me since my workflow remains intact! If anybody wants to chime in on their experiences with RAW files or differences using a connector kit please let me know, but so far things are looking up. :D

Thanks!

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
I just returned from a week trip where I took roughly 600 pictures. I used my iPad 2 w/ iOS6 with PhotoStream loading into Aperture 3.4.1. I also downloaded the SD cards into a separate album. I will let you know how what I think when I do review and post this week.

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
I just returned from a week trip where I took roughly 600 pictures. I used my iPad 2 w/ iOS6 with PhotoStream loading into Aperture 3.4.1. I also downloaded the SD cards into a separate album. I will let you know how what I think when I do review and post this week.

Awesome! I look forward to hearing the results!

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
I wonder if Apple will ever update iPhoto for iPad or release an Aperture companion for iPad so that we can import, review, edit, crop, rank, etc, and then when we get home and import the same photos into Aperture (or iPhoto) all the changes can be applied from the cloud.

So when you import with your various settings, it recognises it as a recent import to one of your iCloud devices and offers to apply changes as regular non-destructive edits (maybe with a checklist: edits, ratings, flagged, crop, etc) to the photos.

iPhoto for iPad does it's job fine, and can show off the photos nicely too, but it does not fit into my Aperture workflow at all.

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
I wonder if Apple will ever update iPhoto for iPad or release an Aperture companion for iPad so that we can import, review, edit, crop, rank, etc, and then when we get home and import the same photos into Aperture (or iPhoto) all the changes can be applied from the cloud.

So when you import with your various settings, it recognises it as a recent import to one of your iCloud devices and offers to apply changes as regular non-destructive edits (maybe with a checklist: edits, ratings, flagged, crop, etc) to the photos.

iPhoto for iPad does it's job fine, and can show off the photos nicely too, but it does not fit into my Aperture workflow at all.

I would love an Aperture companion that would be used just for reviewing, ranking, and sharing. Any type of light editing would just be a bonus for me. It would be great to import my photos on location, rate them while traveling, and just let them sync back to my Mac through Photostream. Then I could set up a smart album when I get home and all my keepers would be ready for review and post. Talk about a crazy awesome workflow!!!

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
I would love an Aperture companion that would be used just for reviewing, ranking, and sharing. Any type of light editing would just be a bonus for me. It would be great to import my photos on location, rate them while traveling, and just let them sync back to my Mac through Photostream. Then I could set up a smart album when I get home and all my keepers would be ready for review and post. Talk about a crazy awesome workflow!!!

I guess they could implement this a bunch of different ways, but the key would be allowing for things like custom import settings to be used. Maybe Aperture for iPad could pick these up via iCloud?

Maybe everyone else has much faster internet than me - I thought my edit data sync idea was neat, but I guess importing twice is unnecessary with fast internet.

However, it would be useful to import efficient jpegs on the move and have any edits and ranking synced to the RAW originals in desktop Aperture at a later date. My 32 GB iPad never has that much free space on it, so importing a bunch of RAW files can be tricky.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
Awesome! I look forward to hearing the results!

FWIW - I have found the iPad to be a great travel tool. iOS6 increased the file size for images so I have no danger of having an image reduced in size (I shoot with an Oly OM-D E-M5, 16Mp/image). I shoot JPEG + RAW when using the iPad and cull, do basic edits, email, etc., to the JPEGs. It is a great mobile tool. I do real post in RAW on my iMac. Unless you are a professional who needs the ability to access Aperture/LR/PS on the road, the iPad is a great mobile options. It pairs very nicely with mirrorless, it is like the two were made for each other. FWIW - I found iPhoto on the iPad to be the best tool to look at groups of pics. I did use Snapseed once I wanted to do more than review or cull a picture.

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
FWIW - I have found the iPad to be a great travel tool. iOS6 increased the file size for images so I have no danger of having an image reduced in size (I shoot with an Oly OM-D E-M5, 16Mp/image). I shoot JPEG + RAW when using the iPad and cull, do basic edits, email, etc., to the JPEGs. It is a great mobile tool. I do real post in RAW on my iMac. Unless you are a professional who needs the ability to access Aperture/LR/PS on the road, the iPad is a great mobile options. It pairs very nicely with mirrorless, it is like the two were made for each other. FWIW - I found iPhoto on the iPad to be the best tool to look at groups of pics. I did use Snapseed once I wanted to do more than review or cull a picture.

That's great to hear that it handles those hi-res files now! One thing to keep in mind that if your using iCloud (to sync your photos back to your Mac at home) is that it will only grab the JPEG's from your RAW+JPEG files. Just something to keep in mind. A little annoying, but an understandable compromise.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
The wife and I shoot raw only and have the iPads as part of our workflow at the end. In the field the raw files go on our rMBPs where we can do initial editing in the field. We finish the editing at home on calibrated monitors. Once the editing is done, we select which photos we want to share and export them from Lightroom as jpegs. Those go into the iPads.

The point is that even if you do not use the iPad as part of your import and editing process, a retina iPad makes a great vehicle for sharing edited photos. You can put a world of photos on a 64GB iPad. ;)

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
That's great to hear that it handles those hi-res files now! One thing to keep in mind that if your using iCloud (to sync your photos back to your Mac at home) is that it will only grab the JPEG's from your RAW+JPEG files. Just something to keep in mind. A little annoying, but an understandable compromise.

I still download my RAW files into Aperture on my iMac via SD card

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Maybe some of you more knowledgeable people can help me out with this one..

I shoot RAW+JPEG on my Nikon D5100 and then import the pics to my iPad 3 using the camera connection kit. When I look at the EXIF info in iOS iPhoto the file size of any given picture might be 4.5MB (16.1MP). Then I edit the picture and save to the camera roll and when looking at the edited picture the file size is now say 3.5MB (still at 16.1MP).

So am I losing any quality in the pics because it's saving at a lower file size?

Also, when I save the edited photo to my camera roll, it adds it to PhotoStream. When I look at the EXIF of the PhotoStream pic the file size is even smaller (~.5MB) and sometimes the resolution is cut down to 4MP. I thought if a photo is saved to Photostream on an iPad it is saved at full resolution (up to 20MP or something like that)?

I am very new to this so any help would be appreciated.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
What app are you using? I would not use PhotoStream to save pics, it does reduce file size. I would download directly to your Mac for editing.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
What app are you using? I would not use PhotoStream to save pics, it does reduce file size. I would download directly to your Mac for editing.

To edit the pics on the iPad I'm using iPhoto and Snapseed. I usually import right into aperture from the SD card but would like to edit on my iPad first (don't really know how to use aperture yet and just looking for simple edits)

From reading the previous posts it seems that using Photostream should keep the file size the same?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.