Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k12g3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
ESPN has finally updated its "WatchESPN" App to include AirPlay compatibility for its online network ESPN3. According to the release notes, future updates will include compatibility for ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU programming.

I have been waiting for this feature forever! So glad it is finally happening.

This HAS to mean that a native "WatchESPN" app is coming soon for the :apple:TV. Do you think Apple will announce it at the Sept. 12 iPhone 5 event or maybe iPad Mini event in October?

FINALLY: Cutting the cord is looking like a reality!

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
Even if there is an app coming...you can't watch it without having a Comcast/Xfinity subscription I believe. There may be other providers, but you still won't be able to "cut the cord".

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
AHH, stupid providers. Why Dish Network doesn't support this boggles me. At least I can still watch it through my Xbox or computer.

OmegaRed1723

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The Waste
Even if there is an app coming...you can't watch it without having a Comcast/Xfinity subscription I believe. There may be other providers, but you still won't be able to "cut the cord".

Does it count if your Internet is through Comcast, or do they require you to have a cable subscription specifically?

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
Does it count if your Internet is through Comcast, or do they require you to have a cable subscription specifically?

Currently you have to subscribe to a cable package that includes the channel already. Would be sweet though if they let their internet subscribers take part though.

sirgromit

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
ESPN makes this very confusing. ESPN3 content only requires you to have a partner ISP (tv subscription not requried). However, if you want to stream regular ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU then you must have a cable/satellite/fiber TV subscription via a partner as well.

To make matters worse, ESPN3 used to have many of the live events that ESPN and ESPN2 had but now ESPN will no longer be duplicating these events via ESPN3 meaning there will be a little less content via ESPN3 and you'll need the tv subscription to stream these particular events.

I certainly would like to see WatchESPN included as an app with the AppleTV as their iOS app had disabled AirPlay streaming only to recently add it back again with the latest 1.6.3 update but only for ESPN3 streams. AirPlay support for the other ESPN channels is to be added "soon."

k12g3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009

Do what I do! Just have a friend or family member let you use their sign-in information for their cable/satellite provider. It's no charge to them and if they are a good enough friend, they won't mind at all. ;) I do the same with HBOGo and have been enjoying premium programming for months now! #cutthecord

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.