Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpatrick15

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Thought those interested in selling their 4S might be interested in this:

http://www.bgr.com/2012/08/29/apple-64-gb-iphone-4s-trade-in-offer-345-dollars/

BGR said:
While Apple’s (AAPL) next-generation iPhone hasn’t been officially announced yet, the company is providing a nice gift for users who bought the previous model. TheNextWeb reports that Apple’s recycling program is now offering up to $345 for the iPhone 4S in good condition, or $45 more than what Samsung (005930) was offering for the 64GB iPhone 4S earlier this year. The cash that users receive comes in the form of a gift certificate for Apple stores, so this current offer is really ideal for iPhone fans who are planning to upgrade to Apple’s newest device when it becomes available on September 21st.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
Not a bad deal, maybe... how much do they knock off that price for a 32GB or 16GB?

$285 for 16GB. I'm locked in with Gazelle at $280 until October so I don't have to go iPhoneless at any point. FYI, I checked maybe a week ago and Amazon was offering significantly more than anywhere else, but they pay in the form of an amazon gift card.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I was offered $235 for my white 16gb 4S on the apple website. I'm going the Craigslist option since I can get at least $400.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
I compared this offer with Gazelle and they offer about the same price so i'm gonna say trading it in to Apple is the best deal.

Or just sell it to anyone on Craigslist for $400 for the 16gb .. and only goes up from there

esploded

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
I was offered $235 for my white 16gb 4S on the apple website. I'm going the Craigslist option since I can get at least $400.

Or just sell it to anyone on Craigslist for $400 for the 16gb .. and only goes up from there

I have my 32GB Black AT&T iPhone 4S up for sale on CL for $450, in near perfect condition with 2 cases (incipio, switcheasy) but nobody is biting.

Any advice?

chasers

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
I'm planning on selling my Sprint iPhone 64GB White soon. Any idea what I can get for it on CL? Didn't see many Sprint iPhones listed.

albertxp06

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
California
I have my 32GB Black AT&T iPhone 4S up for sale on CL for $450, in near perfect condition with 2 cases (incipio, switcheasy) but nobody is biting.

Any advice?
Sell on Amazon? I just sold my iPhone 4 Unlocked for $400 there. Sure, they take some commission, but I still come out on top.

The lowest Amazon price for a used 32GB 4S (locked) is around $440.
By sell, I mean through the Amazon marketplace, not trade in.

esploded

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
Sell on Amazon? I just sold my iPhone 4 Unlocked for $400 there. Sure, they take some commission, but I still come out on top.

The lowest Amazon price for a used 32GB 4S (locked) is around $440.
By sell, I mean through the Amazon marketplace, not trade in.

The thing is though, on the Amazon Marketplace, there are a ton of policies you have to abide by regarding returns. So if somebody buys my iPhone, sees that a new one is coming and returns it, I'm out of luck and money. (I might be being paranoid here, but the supposed launch date is rapidly approaching).

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN

Any advice?

If no one takes the offer you may have to drop the price a little bit. You could probably get $450 on ebay but you'll only net probably around $420-430 for it after all the fees.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

Any advice?

Login and refresh your ad every 2 days. In fact, I keep 2 accounts (2 different e-mail addresses) so I can have 2 ads that I rotate refreshing every other day. Also, try to refresh it early in the morning, most ppl surf CL from work after getting their coffee and settling in. You want to make sure your ad is refreshed and toward the top when everyone is on.

Last edited:

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Login and refresh your ad every 2 days. In fact, I keep 2 accounts (2 different e-mail addresses) so I can have 2 ads that I rotate refreshing every other day. Also, try to refresh it early in the morning, most ppl surf CL from work after getting their coffee and settling in. You want to make sure your ad it refreshed and toward the top when everyone is on.

Glad you mentioned that! I do the same thing, but I had forgot all about it.

skasol

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
Login and refresh your ad every 2 days. In fact, I keep 2 accounts (2 different e-mail addresses) so I can have 2 ads that I rotate refreshing every other day. Also, try to refresh it early in the morning, most ppl surf CL from work after getting their coffee and settling in. You want to make sure your ad it refreshed and toward the top when everyone is on.

This is good. I didn't even know you could refresh ads on CL.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
This is good. I didn't even know you could refresh ads on CL.

You have to create an account and login. I think the limit is every 48 hours (the reason I keep 2 accounts).

Edit: OH, and make sure you have several good pictures of your phone. If you have the box, paperwork, and cables be sure to include pictures of them as well as your case. I ignore ads w/ no pics.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Login and refresh your ad every 2 days. In fact, I keep 2 accounts (2 different e-mail addresses) so I can have 2 ads that I rotate refreshing every other day. Also, try to refresh it early in the morning, most ppl surf CL from work after getting their coffee and settling in. You want to make sure your ad is refreshed and toward the top when everyone is on.

Edit: OH, and make sure you have several good pictures of your phone. If you have the box, paperwork, and cables be sure to include pictures of them as well as your case. I ignore ads w/ no pics.

I don't have two accounts, but I do follow these steps as well and I can say from experience that it works out rather nicely. Though now I may make a second account as it's a good idea.

esploded

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
If no one takes the offer you may have to drop the price a little bit. You could probably get $450 on ebay but you'll only net probably around $420-430 for it after all the fees.

I think Amazon and Ebay take around 10% commission, which drops it significantly. I'm just disappointed that my cases ($50) don't really add to the value, haha.

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know I could refresh ads! Does it matter if I'm using the same pics for both ads or will it be moderated/banned?

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Thanks for the tip, I didn't know I could refresh ads! Does it matter if I'm using the same pics for both ads or will it be moderated/banned?

I've never been moderated/banned, but I always make sure I post/refresh them a day apart.

Using the same pics is no issue. I do change up the subject just a bit....re-order the words. Probably not necessary, but something I started doing before creating accounts and trying to get past the filter that checks for duplicate ads.

esploded

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
I've never been moderated/banned, but I always make sure I post/refresh them a day apart.

Using the same pics is no issue. I do change up the subject just a bit....re-order the words. Probably not necessary, but something I started doing before creating accounts and trying to get past the filter that checks for duplicate ads.

I guess there's no way to formally refresh the post, so I went ahead and deleted my original posting. I'll write up a new one in the morning, thanks for your help! I'm pretty desperate to sell cause it'll be any day now that Apple announces a conference.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Be sure to create an account when posting the new one. The refresh option will appear 48 hours after your original post.

honeygirl

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
If I can buy iphone 4s for 345 in my county, I think it will be wonderful!

I know it's impossible...:(

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I think Amazon and Ebay take around 10% commission, which drops it significantly.

Last minute bidding war can drive the price up higher than otherwise on ebay (especially if you unlock it and sell internationally) and that helps defray the fees. People buying through CL avoid this and naturally expect to save a few bucks.

I'm just disappointed that my cases ($50) don't really add to the value, haha.

Not everyone uses a case so don't expect them to add any value.

You can jailbreak and unlock it if you want to add value.

----------

I'm pretty desperate to sell cause it'll be any day now that Apple announces a conference.

Being desperate will only cause you to cave in to a lower price. If you jailbreak and unlock it, you can get $450ish for your 32GB on ebay about a month AFTER the new iPhone streets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.