Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:26 PM   #1
hercurliness
macrumors member

Question iPhone 5 and no contract plans? Help please!

Hey everyone! After stalking these forums for quite some time, I decided to sign up.

I plan on getting the iPhone 5 (hopefully in September if everyone's expectations and predictions are fulfilled!), and I'd really like to use a contract-less plan. The way I see it, it's a lot less money and hassle...and I don't want to be bound by contracts.

I considered Sprint's Virgin Mobile, but after hearing that they have bad coverage, service, and poor customer service kind of turned me off. And the fact that they may not offer the iPhone 5 at the time of its release was kind of a turn-off as well.

So now I'm considering AT&T's H2o Wireless. Seems like a good deal, and I've heard a lot of goood reviews about it! But I checked on their website, and I couldn't find anything about iPhones....perhaps I'm not looking in the right place. Does anyone have any good reviews about this service? Is it likely that, since they have (perhaps indirect) connections with AT&T, they will offer the iPhone 5 at its release?

My second option is Straight Talk. I'm a little confused on how it works, though.....how am I to get started? I checked the website and I couldn't find very much info about iPhones there either. Does anyone have any personal experience/reviews about this Straight Talk program? What, if any, major phone companies are affiliated with Straight Talk?

Help would be very much appreciated. Thank you so much for your patience! I'm new at this, can you tell?
hercurliness is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:49 PM   #2
greytmom
macrumors 68000

I don't know much about the contract-free plans. I do know that Straight Talk piggybacks AT&T, but if I'm not mistaken, LTE won't be an option. Something to think about.

Try doing a forum search using the different plans you've listed here and you should come up with some good info. Sorry I couldn't offer more assistance.

edit: well, I did find info on H2O Wireless and iPhone. Not sure why you couldn't find it... There is a link on their home page.

Edit #2: ok, found this info by googling 'straight talk iPhone.'

Last edited by greytmom; Aug 29, 2012 at 09:54 PM.
greytmom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:54 PM   #3
slabwax
macrumors member

You might have to wait a few months, but I guess by Xmas Apple will sell a unlocked Iphone at an Apple store near you. It was within a few months they sold the 4s. Full price but you'll e able to buy one. Good luck.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:54 PM   #4
eastercat
macrumors 68040

You'll have to wait for the factory unlocked to be offered. There is some thinking it may not be offered on launch day.
FYI, you want to stay away from cdma; they're locked down and you can't really move to another carrier. H2O and the other gsm mvno carriers don't offer iphones; it's more of a situation where you bring your own in.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:05 PM   #5
moosquared
macrumors regular

If you're going the no-contract plan, get the factory unlocked version. Not sure if they're going to have the factory unlocked version on launch day though. If they don't be patient. It's really not worth it to pay retail and get the locked version.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:10 PM   #6
hercurliness
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytmom View Post
I don't know much about the contract-free plans. I do know that Straight Talk piggybacks AT&T, but if I'm not mistaken, LTE won't be an option. Something to think about.

Try doing a forum search using the different plans you've listed here and you should come up with some good info. Sorry I couldn't offer more assistance.

edit: well, I did find info on H2O Wireless and iPhone. Not sure why you couldn't find it... There is a link on their home page.

Edit #2: ok, found this info by googling 'straight talk iPhone.'
Thank you so much! Haha, I guess I'm not very good at research.

I really do want the best option...buying an iPhone contract-free can be pretty pricey, especially for a college student like me. I want to know if it's worth it to buy the phone at contract-free price (roughly $650 through Apple) and go with a month-to-month plan, or to just go ahead to sign the contract.

It's not that I mind paying the $650...I just want to make sure I don't get ripped off on a month-to-month program!

Anyway, rabbit trail. thank you again!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabwax View Post
You might have to wait a few months, but I guess by Xmas Apple will sell a unlocked Iphone at an Apple store near you. It was within a few months they sold the 4s. Full price but you'll e able to buy one. Good luck.
Unfortunately, I think it's very likely that it'll take a while before it's offered unlocked... I really hope it's sooner than Xmas though! But we'll see I guess thank you.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:18 PM   #7
labman
macrumors 604

you probably have till late October or early November to do your home work. that's presuming there is good availability. buying a unlocked phone is really more GSM networks.. AT&T T-mobile H20 a couple others. CDMA networks like Verizon and sprint are fussier about putting people on there network unless they buy a phone through them. 1st step I'd wait till Sept see what you think of what Apple is actually offering vs the many rumors.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:35 PM   #8
ET iPhone Home
macrumors 68000

What about T-Mobile? My parents have an unlocked 4 and use T-Mobile. They offer an array of affordable non-binding plans.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:39 PM   #9
Truefan31
macrumors 65816

H20 has plans, but their internet is capped at 2 gb (even though they offer free intl calling).

Your best bet would be to go with simple mobile (tmobile). $40 a month for unlimited everything (3g), or $60 a month for unlimited everything (4g).

I only speak of this cuz I own/operate a cell store.
Truefan31 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:08 AM   #10
Geckotek
macrumors G3

I don't think you'll find a contract free plan that A) is discounted and B) offers all the features of a contract post paid plan.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:28 AM   #11
hercurliness
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET iPhone Home View Post
What about T-Mobile? My parents have an unlocked 4 and use T-Mobile. They offer an array of affordable non-binding plans.
Hmm....I'll definitely look into that. So many options...to be honest, it's kind of overwhelming. But the research and result is worth it I'm sure.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truefan31 View Post
H20 has plans, but their internet is capped at 2 gb (even though they offer free intl calling).

Your best bet would be to go with simple mobile (tmobile). $40 a month for unlimited everything (3g), or $60 a month for unlimited everything (4g).

I only speak of this cuz I own/operate a cell store.
More than 2g would be great....but I could live with 2g if the entire plan was very reasonable. Thank you for the T-Mobile recommendation!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckotek View Post
I don't think you'll find a contract free plan that A) is discounted and B) offers all the features of a contract post paid plan.
Haha....probably true. I have high expectations...

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone