Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

longhorns172006

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
Dallas, Tx
Assuming that 9/12 is the announce date, what date/time will we be able to pre-order the new iPhone? Based on past history of course.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
If you go by the 4S last year, then pre-orders opened up 3 days after the announcement at 12:01 AM Pacific Time (3:01 Eastern Time.) There has been a rumor or 2 going around that they'll open them up on the same day of the announcement, but thats all rumors as of right now. It'll be kind of hard to judge though. The iPhone 4 pre-orders opened up 7-8 days after the announcement.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
Well if Apple intends on releasing it on 9/21 and announcing on 9/12 pre-orders would need to start by 9/15 to get things rolling along to insure sufficient stock per carrier warehouse and store locations. You have to account for carrier transit time to retail locations which is 2-3 days.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Yea, a week before the launch is normal... usually the Friday before the Friday release of the phone for pre-order is what I remember

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Are pre-orders shipped to your residence or do they go to your local wireless store to be picked up there?

Pre-orders through Apple are either shipped to your residence or picked up at an Apple Store... Not sure about carrier pre-orders...

Best Buy Mobile pre-orders done in store are picked up in store

groupersandwich

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
No apple stores within 200 miles of me so I guess it'll have to come to my house. Can you request it to be held at the shipping carrier for pick-up? It seems like phones always have to be signed for and are always delivered during business hours when I'm, well, at my business doing work. :D

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
No apple stores within 200 miles of me so I guess it'll have to come to my house. Can you request it to be held at the shipping carrier for pick-up? It seems like phones always have to be signed for and are always delivered during business hours when I'm, well, at my business doing work. :D

When the products ship you can go to the account order information page on the Apple site to print and fill out a FedEx release form. They will then leave it at the door. I've done this in the past. Most recently, with the new iPad, I just put a note on the release that they could bring it to my business address if they preferred a live signature. I work about 3000 feet from and on the same route as my home address and they just brought it there.

As far as I know, they won't allow you to pick up at the FedEx depot until one missed delivery attempt has occurred.

longhorns172006

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
Dallas, Tx
Awesome thanks for all the info. This is my first pre-order so one more question. What has been the average time it take to start being a delay in the shipping, back orders I guess is what you would call it. I am going to be staying up for sure on the night pre-orders go live, I was just wondering how on the ball I need to be as far as refreshing Apple.com.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Awesome thanks for all the info. This is my first pre-order so one more question. What has been the average time it take to start being a delay in the shipping, back orders I guess is what you would call it. I am going to be staying up for sure on the night pre-orders go live, I was just wondering how on the ball I need to be as far as refreshing Apple.com.

Be prepared for very slow computer load times, system errors, and numerous attempts at securing a pre order. If you have an old iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch, I recommend installing the Apple Store App, I've heard it's the most efficient way to secure a pre order.

If I had to guess, ship time will increase before the day ends.

Kelly682

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
East Coast
If this keynote goes like the past iPad 3 keynote, we might just be able to pre-order that day, provided the apple website is up.

I agree with the previous posters, trying to secure a pre-order is frustrating. I've only done it once, but at first the apple website was down. Then it went up, then down again. I was on my droid/work computer simutaneously and it was not easy. I gave up. Went home (30 min drive) tried on my laptop and finally, got my iPad 3.

I plan on doing the same for the new iPhone! ;)

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
If this keynote goes like the past iPad 3 keynote, we might just be able to pre-order that day, provided the apple website is up.

I agree with the previous posters, trying to secure a pre-order is frustrating. I've only done it once, but at first the apple website was down. Then it went up, then down again. I was on my droid/work computer simutaneously and it was not easy. I gave up. Went home (30 min drive) tried on my laptop and finally, got my iPad 3.

I plan on doing the same for the new iPhone! ;)

Not looking forward to the headache, but it must be done

Kelly682

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
East Coast
Not looking forward to the headache, but it must be done

No kidding huh? Its a PITA, but I rather pre-order, than sit/stand in the mall for 8+ hours in line waiting. Then once you get in the store, you probably end up getting groped because the store is beyond packed. I would just rather stay home, and become obsessed with that damn fed ex/UPS tracking website. Ahhh its going to be March 2012 all over again. ;)

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
No kidding huh? Its a PITA, but I rather pre-order, than sit/stand in the mall for 8+ hours in line waiting. Then once you get in the store, you probably end up getting groped because the store is beyond packed. I would just rather stay home, and become obsessed with that damn fed ex/UPS tracking website. Ahhh its going to be March 2012 all over again. ;)

Yup... That is exactly how I will be...

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Assuming that 9/12 is the announce date, what date/time will we be able to pre-order the new iPhone? Based on past history of course.

There have been numerous rumors from credible sources that pre-ordering will go live on 9/12, much like the new iPad, so hopefully it'll be that day and not waiting until some God-forsaken hour of the night.

Be prepared for very slow computer load times, system errors, and numerous attempts at securing a pre order. If you have an old iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch, I recommend installing the Apple Store App, I've heard it's the most efficient way to secure a pre order.
And one technically can use the Apple Store app on the iPad, but it is an iPhone app, so it looks like zoomed-in-DOOKIE-pie on an iPad. If it gets me an iPhone on day 1 though, I'll be a happy camper.

longhorns172006

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
Dallas, Tx
Allright I will just do the app on my iPad 3. I had the iPhone 4 and sold it a couple of weeks ago in anticipation for new iPhone and right now I'm rocking the 3G. Amazing how this phone was top of the line and now I am very much missing my 4 lol. Thanks for all of the replies everyone!

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
The 3GS pre order was easy. The 4 pre order was a nightmare. Took me about 6 hours of trying. I didn't get a 4S, so can't comment on that one. Starting to think setting an alarm for 3-4am might be the way to go. Especially since I want to get at least 2 (one for me, 1 for the wife) if not 4 or 5 (my parents and her mom.)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
hopefully it will be like the retina display and about 30 minutes after the keynote go live!

Kelly682

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
East Coast
There have been numerous rumors from credible sources that pre-ordering will go live on 9/12, much like the new iPad, so hopefully it'll be that day and not waiting until some God-forsaken hour of the night.

If this is the case, Im leaving work at 2:30 that day (provided the keynote is on 9/12) and just sitting at home, working 2 iPads to get my iPhone. This droids gotta go!!!

Then the waiting begins. I am so not a patient person. My new mantra will be "Good things comes to those who wait..." :p

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

If this is the case, Im leaving work at 2:30 that day (provided the keynote is on 9/12) and just sitting at home, working 2 iPads to get my iPhone. This droids gotta go!!!

Then the waiting begins. I am so not a patient person. My new mantra will be "Good things comes to those who wait..." :p

Is it bad that I cleared my day on the 12th and took the 21st off.... =/

weeble8604

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2012
I wonder how bad the web traffic is on the at&t website compared to the apple website? Probably pretty slow but I'd imagine not as bad as the apple website

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.